White Sea Bass OB Surf

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by Matt44west, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Matt44west

Matt44west Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Hey, All: Thought I'd post this as I haven't caught this species before and it was in an odd location (no pics, dang it). Caught on a 6 1/2 ft Kastking bass rod with 6 lb test.

Was fishing south jetty starting at 10 am today. No bites with swimbaits on the north side all the way out past the fence. On the river side, I could see good schools of fish out where the second section of the jetty starts. Not just baitfish, but good sizes...Kept site casting with the swimbait...nothing. Current was inward and soft—there was so much life I knew I could catch something. Decided to do a c-rig to the only other bait I had—a Zman hula stick watermelon color. I rigged it up and walked out just shy of where the surf break starts out there--maybe a hundred feet from it. First cast and it gets nipped. I wait a second and two more nips. I'm thinking corbina. Another bite and it takes it. I set the hook and take some line...See a HUGE splash as the fish breaks the surface. Work it for about two minutes and...it takes drag and I gain some. Takes drag and I gain some. Finally get it close and it's in the middle of the river there. Fighting me in circles. I see a glint of silver and still think corbina. Get it closer and—shoot—a sea bass. At least two feet long. I work it to the rocks and I'm hopping everywhere trying to find something I can drag it onto. No way I could lift it with my line and bass rod. No good rocks and I don't have a net (STUPID). He's pretty tired so I decide to reach down and SNAP. Just like that...He swims back out. Crazy fun catch and I wish I had a pic—just couldn't land him. About five minutes later another angler walks out on the surf side, yells at me that he saw me fighting the thing and couldn't believe I caught a sea bass.

Said he saw the whole thing...If you're in here, dude—back me up!

Anyhow, anybody else caught these in that location? I know spotfins come up sometimes...

The one that got away!!!!

2. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,944
    Name:
    Eric
    Awesome hookup. I started bringing a net when rock hopping. It gets sketchy when you hook something you're afraid to try and bounce, both for you and the fish

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Matt44west

Matt44west Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks! Yeah—I'm usually good about bringing the net as I think it's actually a DFG reg. Just left the house fast and forgot. Was really surprised to hook up on that fish, let alone a big one. I've had varying luck in that area, but I know a lot of sea life passes through back and forth. They're out there!

4. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,035
    Name:
    Keath
    Surf is getting very interesting this year! Thanks for the report.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,537
    I hope this dude backs you up, too !!

6. Matt44west

Matt44west Member

Ratings:
    +24
    It's all good! Just need to keep my phone on me next time instead of in my pack.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,192
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Title 14 Section 28.65 , landing net requirement only applies to vessels and or floating objects , tubes kayaks ETC. Not required for shore based angling , May make it easier to land fish in some locations but not the law. WR

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,537
    I love being a rebel.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. dbrown6535

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +317
    I caught a 39 inch wsb from the dog beach side about 20 years ago. Never would have got it from the other side.

10. Matt44west

Matt44west Member

Ratings:
    +24
    DANG. This one was at least two feet—I believe it was legal size...Maybe close to 30. But it gets bigger each time I tell the story. Haha. 39 is a monster from the surf. Congrats—rad catch from the surf!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List