Who Else’s Out Chasing Spotties Tonight?

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by 5-20, Mar 1, 2019.

1. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,443
    Caught this sweet fatty on my first cast out of my secret spot in MB. Lol.

Thankfully she wasn’t the last fish of the night! Got a second one that was smaller and then a few more missed bites on the swimbait.

Thinking about changing up spots. Let’s see if I can get at least 5. Sticking around MB for now but maybe i’ll head over to SD Bay later.

EBFAAAB0-7B1F-48C7-82FA-799E3F3D2A9D.jpeg

2. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,359
    Nice hunting!

3. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,443
    Trip update. You can see where I am at now. 11:31p. Still stuck on 2 spotties and maybe 7-8 missed bites.

Still haven’t slipped on anything wet as the tide is going out. Still have everything intact but this night time rock jetty fishing is certainly not without its dangers.

Not ready to pack it in. Got to try one or two more spots.

Added pix.

B5381D68-9733-4100-8A1C-41ECC49B04A7.jpeg

4. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,443
    Well, I fished for a bit longer and got home a little after midnight. Never fished any of the sandy beaches, stuck to scampering down the rock jetties the whole time. Covered more water than I have in a long while.

5. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,359
    If you don’t have them already,get a nice headlamp, and a pair of xtratuf boots. Night shore pounding is a kind of zen experience for me — I am able to key in on bites a bit better because of the lack of visual cues. Good therapy!

6. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,443
    Thanks, scisports. Regular “tennis” shoes give me pretty good traction on those rocks. I use a light clip on headlight that I slip on the brim of my hat. You just gotta watch the water line and make sure you don’t step on any of the wet rocks I guess, or rush down or up any of those rocks a little too quickly!

7. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,443
    Continuation of this report from last night.

Fished several different spots around MB to try to get out of the wind. Think I’ve been out here for more than two hours now.

Zero bites on the swimbait that was getting me so many bites last night.

At my last spot, along the steep jetty at the mouth of MB, I nearly slipped with both feet going out right from under me at the top of the jetty walking down the rocks. Thought it was completely dry and that my footing was secure enough.

I have no idea how I caught my balance in time but that told me I had enough of rock fishing in this weather and that I should just head out to that birthday party!

8. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,436
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    That is the stuff that begets broken bones. Glad you came away unscathed!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,443
    Yep, yep. Jetty fishing will be the death of some of us someday...... high risk, high reward, I guess. :)

10. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +38,917
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Without the hospitality jetty and a resulting ankle fracture, I would never have found this place. That said, my recommendation is to get the cheapest pair of "servus" boots big 5 sells.. super soft, they grip the wet rocks better than anything else I have found.17$ when they are on sale. They don't last super long, they could save you thousands in medical bills though

11. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,443
    I may already have those boots, I’m not sure. I bought a pair of $19 or $22 boots from big 5 for my waders and they’ve been pretty fantastic for the price. Already 2 or going on 3 years old and they still look and feel great.

Fished for about 45 mins to an hour at 2 spots around MB around 1030-1130p. Got two bites on the swimbait but missed both. Had to call it a night. Water wasn’t moving very much either.