Who wants to go fishing 12/14?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by seacitizen, Dec 12, 2019.

1. seacitizen

seacitizen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +177
    good tide Saturday morning for the big bay, who wants to go fishing? My standard offer is on the table. Split a Seaforth skiff from Coronado for a half day (maybe a little later start around 9 if we are renting) or I can put up some gas money (~$30) and coffee/burritos for anyone that already has a boat... fish the amphibious flats, South Bay, where ever. If you got a boat I’m open to fishing Zuniga and the north part of the bay too. Might be bumpy outside with all the swell forecasted this weekend though. Joel , CON KSO , CraigSmith ? Anyone else that might wanna go?

2. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,689
    I’m in the shop (Stroud Tackle) Saturday. So no fishing for me.

3. cavedog619

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,059
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback 2020
    I'm game if you don't mind a noob tagging along. I'll split the cost of a Seaforth skiff with you and whoever else joins. Let me know.

EDIT: Sorry, I got reminded that I have family holiday obligations. Maybe next time.:emoji_tired_face:

#3 cavedog619, Dec 13, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  4. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Sorry, family/holiday/work in the way. Hope you get out and looking forward to your report.

5. seacitizen

Ratings:
    +177
    ok so heres the wrap up.

Saturday 12/14. ended up fishing with the better half. spent more time working with her than fishing myself. no further report.

sunday 12/15. ok, heres the exciting stuff. fished today. rented a seaforth skiff for a half day on my own. from 8-10:30 the tide was filling in and topping out. got a decent spot on the troll out to the amphib flats. when I got outside glorietta, things got tough. the wind was howling north to south and the current was SLOW...so the bass were real finicky. managed to scratch away at them with an olive/chartruese/white clouser though. oddly, they only wanted the flies without any flash...By 11, the tide was draining, and the real issues began. the current was ripping out of the bay (south to north) and the wind was howling (north to south). pretty much ruined the opportunity of any decent presentation with the fly. I worked it for a while and managed to scratch a few more bass but it was slow going and took some real technical presentations to get hooked up. by 12 I was getting weary of driving the boat, casting, mending, stripping and re-casting all at the same time while drifting real fast, so I started to head in. picked up two short halibut on the troll in. worth noting: the quality of bass was good; the average size today was probably 14"...it reminded me more of a mission bay session than a SD bay session. IMG-3770 (1).JPG IMG-3763 (1).JPG

6. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +50,110
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
  7. cavedog619

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,059
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback 2020
    Nice. I really wish I could've made it out. Maybe next time.

8. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,689
    nice outing considering the conditions.

get yourself a drift sock. 24” is about right for the rental skiffs. 30” ok on a day like yesterday but may be too big for breezes less than 10mph.

They can often cut your wind driven drift speed down quite a bit. No effect on tidal current driven drift.

I just loop the rope on mine around the tiller of the motor on the rentals. Then you drift bow first and don’t bounce as much in the wind chop. Makes life better and you can keep your fly in the zone longer.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  9. seacitizen

Ratings:
    +177
    I’ll have to pick one up; this isn’t the first time I have had to deal with a difficult wind direction and current. Usually when I’m fishing either a partner I’m able to drive and at least put them on the fish, and then swap. What size would you recommend for a 16’ center console...hypothetically

10. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,689
    I just rechecked the one bought for rental skiffs and it is 30”.

16 ft center console is much heavier than those rental skiffs. 35” to 45”. Err towards larger size if you only get one. Maybe even a bit bigger. Though a big one that works great in 12 mph breeze may be too heavy and just sink in 7mph.

Bigger helps when there is more wind or bigger boat. Many anglers will get a couple of different sizes. Or multiple of same size.

A lot of websites dedicated to walleye fishing have info on different ways to employ drift socks or drogues or sea anchors.

You can make drogues from 5 gallon buckets by drilling a bunch of holes in the bottom but they don’t store as easily as a nylon sock.