Who woulda thought a spoon could be used as a mold?

Discussion in 'Lure Making & Customizing' started by spoonminnow, Aug 17, 2017.

1. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +385
    Note my user name: Spoon Minnow
    About 10 years ago I accidentally discovered that a table spoon could be used for a mold to make small pan fish and bass lures:
    CeqO6RJ.jpg
    But then I found an injection mold that saved time, producing 8 lures at one time with super thin tails. (MoMagic Grub). (BTW, all of the above catch all freshwater species.)

But after watching a video on YouTube of bass attacking Sweet Beaver lures on bottom and a sunfish simulation, I figured why not produce a shape with similar action. Here was the result using a table spoon as the mold:
    HXru371.jpg

With a weighted hook, it could be used as a top water or Texas rigged with a bullet weight - both weedless. The colors were applied using a pipe cleaner dipped in Spike-It. Have to try it this afternoon.

2. Ram-Rod

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,569
    It looks like a frog

3. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +385
    Strangest looking frog I've ever seen...
    When I make lures, originals or copies, I never care what a lure resembles in nature or what fish may think it is. The more lure designs I use to catch all species, the more I'm inclined to believe fish sense the little things lures display that are related to sight and sound. If a lure moves the right way, has an acceptable shape and size and stands out in the water either through color or flash, fish will bite it uncontrollably much of the time because of it's aggressive nature.

Those who think they are using lures that convince a fish that a lure is a frog or a fish or a worm, fine, but if the above lure attributes are ignored, fish won't bite them.