Who's up for Baja fly fishing?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by CON KSO, Apr 11, 2018.

1. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +635
    Anybody interested in getting a caravan together?

I've got three weeks to do my thing down south and I'm pretty sure I'll spend 9 or 10 days hanging out around Abreojos and then I have to take off to meet up with a friend further south (so I wouldn't be able to drive back with the caravan).

I typically leave early, cross the border at Tecate and then camp at Puertocitos hotsprings the first day.

It's an easy first day and you end up with plenty of light by the end of the day so that you can walk over to the rocks near the hotsprings and bust out your 6wt for the little Panamic graysbys that live there - or you can drink a beer and hang out. I don't like to drive at night and I don't like to push it too hard each day driving because, hey, I'm on vacation.

We're in Abreojos the next day - excellent catch and release fishing (with the exception of a corvina/corbina a day for ceviche purposes) and camping at our little hotspot. I bring a kayak for high tide fishing but you could easily tie flies during high tide and then fish at low tide on foot.

It's a pretty ideal set up. You probably won't catch anything giant, but the great thing is, you never know down there.

If you don't want to camp, there are little casitas for rent at about $30/day and a restaurant, with cold beer, a few steps away.

Lemme know and we can start to make plans. More fun in a group.

2. Cyborgstarfish

Cyborgstarfish Cyborgstarfish
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,651
    Boat:
    Ascend FS10 kayak
    Sounds great. A vacation I will do someday.

3. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +567
    Boat:
    It floats
    are you talking on the pacific side or cortez side?

4. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +567
    Boat:
    It floats
    between bufeo and puertocitos?

5. Tomaso

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +558
    I may be up for it... how much in advance do you need to know for sure??

How far south are you eventually planning to go??

6. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +567
    Boat:
    It floats
    I love Gonzaga! Would it be pure blasphemy if I didnt fly fish and just fish with regular rods?

7. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,065
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    One day...

8. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +635
    I'm planning on doing what I usually do which is drive from here to Punta Abreojos which is on the Pacific Side, just past the towns of Guerrero Negro and Vizcaino.

We drive right by Gonzaga and Bufeo and all those spots - if folks were into it, and someone knew the game at those spots, I'd be up for hanging out a day or so.

Man, I'm no snob, by all means fish however you want! I bring light spinning gear and a yellowtail rig too just in case somebody wants to get a panga for the day and go dredge up some bigger fish. What usually happens, though, is I get to the mangroves and all I want to do is target cast into the roots hoping a little mule of a grouper will come out and grab my fly. I just can't get enough of that.

Puertocitos is just an overnight for me with the added benefit of being shielded from the wind, and having goofy fun fishing right by the hotsprings. BTW the hotsprings are kinda cool to see if you've never been down to them before - they're right on the ocean, you can sit in them if the tide is just right. It's a good spot to get to, set up camp, crack some cold beers, limber up a 6wt and walk over to the rocks to see if you can hook something. The next day of driving is kinda of long but from there if you get up on it early you're fishing by the afternoon on the estuary.

The place I like to go is called Campo Rene and it's on a mangrove estuary. The place is really fun to fish, you camp (for very small fee) right there at the estuary and they have flushing toilets and hot water showers. If you don't want to camp, they have two brand new, really cool little casitas that have their own bathrooms and decks out over looking the estuary. There's a small restaurant right on the water with tables both inside and out that I have personally sat at, drank ice cold Pacificos and tied tan and white half and halfs for fishing later in the day. For pure ease of fishing (you can fish at high tide right from your campsite), low to zero fishing pressure, and good camping - it's pretty unbeatable (and I've been to quite a few spots in Baja). A big plus is you can always get out of the Baja wind when you get back in the mangroves (but you need a kayak or something to get there).

It's 70 miles off the highway near a fishing town called Abreojos - there's good surf fishing for corbina/corvina along the sand points there (and good surf too if there's a south swell).

I fished it in June once before and caught small yellowfin croaker, barred sand bass, grouper and big spotties. I'm not sure how fishy it is in June but I'm certain there will be something to catch down there - and the estuary is flat out beautiful. You'll see all kinds of cool stuff if you have a little kayak to get yourself out into the mangroves. If you don't you can walk around at low tide and fish some hot spots we've discovered (actually, I've had kind of epic days fishing there on foot - almost better than from fishing in the kayak). Even if you get skunked (you won't) it's a magic place to walk around and hang out for a few days.

If you've never been to Baja before, this place is going to blow your mind. Especially if you're a light tackle/fly fisherman - like I said before, you probably won't catch anything over 10lbs in there but, if things go like they have for me in the past, you will catch so many fish your fingers will be sore and your arm tired.

A perfect amount of time would be two days to drive down, five days to fish and two days to drive back.

I'm by no means a trip leader but I'm going down there this June so if you want to follow me down and see how I do it - by all means start getting your ducks in a row and we can begin to coordinate.

You'll need a vehicle in good maintenance with good tires. Tires are a big deal because we'll be taking Highway 5 back through San Felipe and past Coco's Corner (google this guy) and we'll be driving about 20 miles of Baja dirt road. I've seen Civics do it so you don't need 4wd but you do need solid tires - so consider tires above all else before you decide to drive down (that and check your hoses, belts etc.).

I'm going not matter what - I'd love to have some experienced fly fishermen along so I can learn some new techniques. Specifically there are these mangrove snappers that are BEEFY that you can see swimming around and I have NO IDEA how to get them on a fly.

Let's go!

9. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +635
    Man no time limit on letting me know - you could tell me the day before we shove off.

I drive back from where I live in Imperial Beach to Tecate. I cross around 7 or 8am, I know where to park right after the border and I walk in and get my tourist card. Some folks never get the tourist card and, honestly, in the 40 years I've been going down there the only time I got checked was when I was 18 and stupid. But I get it anyways because I figure if I prefer people follow the rule of law here, I might as well be legal over there.

I'm going to drive all the way down to La Ventana to say hi to my friend (and pickup/drop off some fly rods/reels) and then I want to explore the East Cape and try for roosterfish or pargo/cabrilla off the beach. I don't have much fishing experience on the East Cape and last surfed there in the late nineties- so I kind of wanted to test it out. June is supposed to be perfect weather for the East Cape too.

You up for the whole run?

10. RolloTomasi

RolloTomasi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +701
    Boat:
    Fish Cat 4 Deluxe
    Passport necessary? Starting June 23 I’ve got 3 or 4 weeks off.

11. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +635
    Yes - you have to have a passport to get back in (kinda, some of my friends claim they just bring their license and/or birth certificate, I think it depends who's in the box but why risk it?)

12. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +567
    Boat:
    It floats
    You ever go down a little further and put your truck on the ferry and go across to santa maria bay? Mangroves and halibut is wide open down there. In june, I should be down, I have only every fished those areas around september and on. I will have to get out the old baja catch and start to study for june

13. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +635
    Are you talking about the ferry out of Santa Rosalia or La Paz? I've never done that - would love to hear all about it. I've fished all over Mag Bay but not mainland - but I'm messed up on mangrove fishing! We're going back in October as well - meet us there!

14. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +567
    Boat:
    It floats
    Aldofo lópez mateos. Pacific side, just above mag bay. Ferry takes you across the estuary to the beach where you drive south to the camp at santa maria bay

15. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +635
    Yes! I have been there.

I actually stayed at my friend's house on Isla Magdalena - he brought a super panga over from La Ventana and we launched out of ALM. He's got a "fisherman's bunkhouse" over there with a cook.

We had the guy haul us across the island, while we sat on the boat, and then we went up to the point (the one that has the real good right hand point break with the surf camp) we crossed the bar on the lee of that point (sketchy as F with a south swell running and the tide dropping!) and then fished the awesome little mangrove estero inside there. I don't know if you've been in there but that little estuary is a trip! It's like riding the gunboat up the river in Apocalypse Now weird little houses on stilts up the boony river canals.

I have been to Isla Margarita as well but we got there by launching out of Puerto Chale and that time was arguably sketchier because we loaded a small panga with three dirtbike and four guys and crossed over in the late afternoon when there's lots of wind. It doesn't seem like it but the channels directly across from the bocas between the barrier islands out there pull in lots of swell.

It got really dicey for awhile when we were beam to with a big rolling swell - even the pangero was sketched! There's a tiny mangrove in there that we fished that was pretty epic- we slept in cardboard and pallet fisherman shacks on mattresses they left behind. Our bikes were pickeled from the ride over and we had to wash them down with half of the freshwater we had but we got them running again. We weren't technically allowed to be there without a permit but we wanted to ride motos on the island - it was epic.

Honestly, I've found fly fishing in Mag Bay to be very difficult, very condition dependent and it can shut down pretty hard. When I started fly fishing Campo Rene, I liked it better. Not giving up on Mag Bay but I'm currently crazy about my little spot.

16. Tomaso

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +558
    Verrry Interesting... Have to give it some thought. As I think I told you, my brother lives in the East Cape in the winter/spring, and he should still be there in June. Might have to see what I can work out. I'll stay in touch.

17. Caballito

Caballito Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148
    What are your dates? I’m crossing early June 15 in Calexico, 3 days in BOLA, down to Loreto (overnight) and 7 days on the East Cape at Verdugos. Looks like our locations are different but it’s nice to know who is where just in case.

93EE68AF-4B20-4B90-A46D-E23E170F7316-M.jpg

#17 Caballito, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  18. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +635
    I'm going to be drive across June 7th and I want to be home 28th or 29th. Be cool to hook up (fish too) on the East Cape - I'll pm you my cell number before I take off. What's Verdugos all about? Fish Camp?

19. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +635
    ooh just found verdugos - might be a cool place to post up (RV Park) for a couple nights, fish and enjoy the pool! I might have to meet you down there!

20. Caballito

Caballito Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148
    Yeah it’s our “base camp” for our trip. We stay in the hotel, wife is not a camper lol. Happy wife, happy life. Video from last year. Nate had just got his drone.