Why is it impossible for me to catch a Bass?

Discussion in 'Bass' started by Dat_fisherman, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Dat_fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +725
    Name:
    Luke Winczowski
    Hey SDfish, as some of you know, I’ve never caught a Large mouth bass. I know that a robo worm drop shot works by dead-sticking it, but I’m a very impatient person. I need to find another way, I know that the bass will be keyed in on shad soon. So should I throw a freshwater Jigpara spin or a shad revenge? I have no idea what to do. If you great fisherman could please give me on your opinion on what to use (line and lure). I will greatly appreciate any help.

Thank you,
    Dat_fisherman

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +51,447
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Go a hundred miles east. Use a spinnerbait or chunk bait, and catch bass... You're welcome... Hahaha

3. Dat_fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +725
    Name:
    Luke Winczowski
    What do you mean by that? I need to be in SD, I can’t go anywhere because my mom is very worried about covid

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +51,447
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I will be headed that way soon, keep your eyes open for my reports. I don't fish bass often, I still get a few out there

IMG_20200901_110803.jpg

#4 Werfless, Sep 1, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  5. NibbleSquad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,401
    If you have a trout rod pick up one of those 2in. Yozuri minnows at walmart and you're pretty much guaranteed a bass. If you got some normal bass rods start throwing some wacky rig senkos around tullies. If you see some fish blasting shad throw a clear or bass pattern zara spook and walk the dog thru the boils or a "ghost" color jerkbait. Spinnerbaits have their place, but imo there's better lures to throw 99% of the time, especially from shore.

#5 NibbleSquad, Sep 1, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. Dat_fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +725
    Name:
    Luke Winczowski
    I have a 3-6ft diving jerk bait in a shad color, where should I fish that?

7. Dat_fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +725
    Name:
    Luke Winczowski
    Should I use a freshwater Jigpara spin?

8. Dat_fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +725
    Name:
    Luke Winczowski
  9. NibbleSquad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,401
    A bass would eat that, but there are better baits to use. You're fishing from shore right? Just walk the bank, cover water and fish the jerkbait. Bass love structure, fish it parallel with tullies, next to sunken trees, points, dropoffs. In the ocean they want a straight retrieve but in freshwater you have to fish it more aggressively to get a reaction bite. On these hot days fish it quickly ripping and popping. Lake murray behind the baseball fields is a great spot to get started.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  10. Dat_fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +725
    Name:
    Luke Winczowski
    I have a float tube, no fish finder. Also my dad has a scout inflatable two person boat, it does have a fish finder

11. OPERATOR SPECTRE

OPERATOR SPECTRE Ç̷̱̈́͐͘Ȗ̴̡͋B̸̭̾̉̄̑E̷̺̘̭̖̾
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,303
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback 2020
    Only reason you need a fish finder bass fishing would be to find submerged structure that is not visible from the surface. Like coach and nibble said fish around structure.. from a float tube you can find and fish plenty of different kinds of structure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. fishfanatic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,678
    Boat:
    Fishcat 4 Float tube
    Pick up a ghost colored bluegill popper or walking bait and go to your nearest lake as early as possible (6:00 a.m. is ideal) and walk the dog over submerged grass or next to tule lines. One of the coolest fish catches you'll experience. Use ghost colored hard baits in clear water and more solid colors in murkier water most of the time. GL!

Edit: Switch to a jerkbait if you feel like the opportunity for topwater has passed. Still fish it close to cover.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  13. Tony Vegas

Tony Vegas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +244
    Name:
    Tony Vegas
    If you wanna catch a Bass float tube one of the river ponds tie on a dropshot with a minnow or a tiny fluke and drag it along the weed lines, you can also go to Miramar and catch fish like this. Just stay right off the weeds edge and just drag it along as you slowly kick along the weed lines. Depending on the bite you'll either feel the fish biting it or you will just see your line start to move. If you wanna fish reaction baits the jerkbaits, spooks and topwater lures are going to be best for when you see the bass busting and chasing shad. You could also use deep diving crankbaits if you wanted a more cast and retrieve. Make sure the lake or body of water can accommodate them tho.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  14. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,034
    Depth, depth changes, weeds, time of day, season fished and other factors determine where you fish and how you fish. Some lures cover more situations than others - the tail spinner you're using not so much. Many lures that can be paused on the retrieve that don't sink fast allow more time to provoke fish to striking. My most productive lures using that presentation are soft plastics - of which there are thousands of designs - rigged on light jig heads.

Granted you can catch fish on steady retrieve lures in the right areas of the lake at the right time of day. Examples I prefer: large blade willow leaf spinnerbaits and skirted jigs with action trailers (yes, they can be used with a steady retrieve just like for a spinnerbait). But unsteady-retrieve type lures such as plastic worms, jerk worms such a Kut Tails rigged on a light ball head jig jerked within 3' of the surface, drop shot Slider worms with sinker slid along bottom, Texas rigged plastic worms hopped and slid along bottom slowly, skirted jig & trailer, suspending crankbaits that can be cranked many different ways and many others give fish time to get annoyed by the unknown intruder entering their space.

And no, fish don't necessarily want to eat a lure that may represent a food type but rather because it pisses them off as evidenced by multiple missed strikes on multiple retrieves to the same spot and then catching the fish near you. Lures basically switch on fish aggression. I let others assign reasons.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  15. dshotter

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +180
    2" pinns minnow on 6 pound line will get bass all day long right now. Its a tiny jerkbait and the fish will be small, but still lots of fun. Once you learn to get the small ones, you can use bigger baits for the bigger fish.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,618
    i lost my last pointer 65 sp, switched to pinns minnow and been killing them daily. the lucky craft are very hard to find for some reason.. don't quit throwing it . or drag a senko behind you in your tube out off the grass lines.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  17. dshotter

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +180
    The SP Pointer is my current go to jerk-bait. However, years ago I came across the Megabass X-80 trick darter and that bait is so much better than anything else (in my opinion). I ended up losing the trick darter and went back to the SP pointer because I have a bunch of them. Never got around to buying another trick darter, yet.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Nick Arevalo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,568
    Boat:
    None
    Fish have been keyed in on shad for a long time now lol. If you have the rod and line, fish a frog over mats and in tulies. A gunfish, sammy, skimmer, or any walking bait should get bit too. I'm impatient too, but fishing fast in the summer doesn't always work. When I need to fish slow I fish a fat ika on a 4/0 ewg.

19. Spidey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +161
    20200529_103115_resized.jpg Oh man, Trick Darter-80 and the Kut tail mentioned, you guys have been looking in my tackle box. Stumbled on the Trick Darter on ebay back in the day before the Ito became a thing, that bait will catch bass anywhere- 7.75 Kut tail is pretty versatile

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,034
    The taper tail worm is one of my best bass producers ! Never tried the Darter. Along with T-rig I use it on a 1/16 oz ball head jig with a 1/0 hook. Beautiful back & forth darting action mid depth.