Why Spinning for Drop Shot?

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by fisheromen, Jan 19, 2021.

1. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,882
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I prefer Spinning gear for Drop Shot and I have reasons. Was wondering your preference and why.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,810
    I prefer a conventional/baitcaster so I can feel when it hits bottom - but that is in salt and 50+ ft.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    I never had a medium light or light casting rod before and rarely do "bubba shot" , so spinning reel. Now I have a medium light casting rod and good reel for light rigs so that might change. Also , may do more 'bubba shot" going forward. I get the line management problems with spinning reels no matter what I do , so that's one issue. Of course, backlashes could be worse , and casting a light dropshot could be difficult, especially in wind.

I see lots of people doing light techniques with casting equipment, like they don't even take a spinning rod bass fishing ever.They will probably post. Not sure what they do in wind , where dropshot is a decent option.

4. Chriwilson

Chriwilson I'm your Huckleberry ...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,315
    Boat:
    Nunya
    Spinning has benefits for use in the wind, on lighter presentations, and I feel it presents a more natural sink.
    Aside from those, baitcasters work just fine so long as proper adjustments are taken into account.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    I mostly use dropshot when I think the fish aren't even aggressive enough to bite something on the fall ! Your point about that is a good one.

6. fishindad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +584
    Because if the bait flys off while casting which tends to happen once in a while with a nose hooked worm on drop shot you won't get an easy birds nest.

You also are generally using lighter line on the drop shot and a lighter rod with more bend that takes the tension off your lighter line when hooked up.

Also the slip on drop shot weights that are designed to break off when snagged fly off the line on occassion too.

#6 fishindad, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. fishindad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +584
    If you put 6lb line on a medium heavy bait casting rod it is more likely to snap when hooked up on a good size fish due to less flexibility than a medium light spinning rod would have.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,365
    I like dropshotting with a baitcaster. I have 3 trigger rods that are rated down to 6 lb. test, and reels that will throw light lures really far. For heavier, larger lures, a medium weight baitcasting rig works great also.

9. Tony Vegas

Tony Vegas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +836
    Name:
    Tony Vegas
    Seems like everybody is thinking about it as an all finesse technique....but I have been catching fish in the river "Power Shotting" on a 7 2 MH with a 7.1-1 reel basically flipping into the tules. 3/4 to 1 oz weight, VMC powershot hooks, with a craw/beaver/creature bait. Short leader to the weight 4-6 inches max. Think kinda like Vinny B's Tokyo rig.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,960
    I generally will throw a dropshot on spinning tackle, for the simple basis that my carpal tunnel is so bad I can't usually handle a casting reel anymore lol. And my dropshot is generally a minimum 1/2oz, and usually higher. Always on 12lb, on 7' MH rods lol. Dropshot is also my go-to method for anywhere that I can fish even remotely vertically. Which includes most everywhere I fish lol

11. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,850
    I do not drop shot fish that much, but sometimes I go to it when it is a tough bite. I use (Daiwa Tartula)bait casting reels when I do drop shot fish. I like the feel of using bait casters with more direct contact with my hand on the reel to the hook/bait & sinker below. I have a couple reels/rods set aside with 6 and 8 lb test on them. I probably use the bait casters 90% of the time when I drop shot.
    Now...if I am casting towards the edges of the tulles, I may take out one of my spinning rods with light line and tie on a drop shot because when I make the cast I want the bait to drop as close to the tulles as possible and with the bait open...I think it makes more sense to use a spinning rod.

12. Egorham

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +622
    I use a spinning rod. When I'm finesse fishing I'm holding the line with my pointer finger any time I'm not reeling. I believe this lets me detect subtle bites more often. Rather than the energy going from the bait to the line to the rod to my hand, it goes right from the line to my hand, skipping an unnecessary step.

As an added bonus, my shoulders appreciate when I mix it up. When I'm fishing a lot I sometimes develop a knot in my back that is no fun, and it's worse if I'm only using spinning rods or only casting rods.

That being said, I've drop shotted on light casting gear and it works fine. It may be better when drop shotting deep and dealing with line twist. There are other ways to get around that though.

I've done this once or twice but plan on using it more this year. You using straight braid just as if you were punching?

13. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,413
    If I dropshot in the bay where I am basically making long casts and dragging the bait, I would more likely use a baitcaster. If I dropshot in a lake, I am underhand casting (from a float tube) to nearby structure and usually using a light weight (sometimes just a split shot) so I would use spinning gear for that. If I am fishing right in the tules or willows, I have a 8.5' long rod and a baitcaster with a flipping switch that I use, I just drop the bait straight down, like the old fashioned tule dipping method. I am also a big fan of weedless drop shot rigs, probably use the offset hooks the most. And I drop shot not only finesse baits but regular size worms and craws. I usually use swivels above a leader to avoid line twist.

14. Tony Vegas

Ratings:
    +836
    Name:
    Tony Vegas
    I do use a fluro leader but I have been toying with the idea of just going straight braid.

Check out VMC spinshot and powershot hooks will save you the line twist headache 1137.jpg VMC-SpinShot-Wide.jpg

15. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,413
    I go full cheapskate, a split shot or walking sinker instead of a dropshot sinker. Those hooks prevent line twist from the bait but not from the sinker. And since I am using Nanofil or Gliss on the spinner for longer casting and sensitivity, the swivel also is a good way to connect to the leader. I also get a much larger selection of hooks by using the separate swivel.

16. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,882
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    What reels would those be?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Tony Vegas

Ratings:
    +836
    Name:
    Tony Vegas
    bait finesse

18. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,413
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,244
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    I tried it and just didn't like the spinning aspect. Bought the appropriate Phoenix light bait casting rod and paired it to a small tatula reel full of 6 lb fluorocarbon and I love it! It's almost my favorite combo to throw. I cast small Crappie jigs to drop shot to neds. Caught my PB on it! 5.20 lbs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  20. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,365
    I have a Daiwa TDX103 HIA (yeah, that's an oldie) and a Quantum Smoke 100 that do the best job. But most of my reels will take care of casting duties for dropshot pretty well....even my cheapie Shakespeare Sigma can lob a dropshot rig reasonably well.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List