Why Spinning for Drop Shot?

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by fisheromen, Jan 19, 2021.

1. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,859
    I cast cast light baits pretty darn far with my Daiwa Tatula reels. Many times even just throwing a light bait or light drop shot rig, can be cast pretty far. Anyone who has fished with or near me can testify to it and I even am amazed on the distance sometimes. That is why I use my bait caster reels almost always when I drop shot.
    These models are the ones I use.
    Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 9.29.37 PM.png
    or Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 9.28.39 PM.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  2. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,904
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    You can't catch a PB on a Drop Shot!!! (I did too)

3. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,904
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    In the Bay I use a Bait Caster. When my weight hits bottom the spool stops, perfect!

4. 929nitro

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +302
    IMO this is a true statement but no matter what rod and line you're using if you don't have your drag set correctly....
    When I started fishing oh maybe a year or so (ok 40ish) ago my go to rod was my ugly stick . What can I say it was my only rod but I had three(all bait casters). Fished every type of bait I had with those and caught fish. I now have some 30 plus rods for all types of fishing (hell I need more arms). I recently spent some money on a spinning reel which I've never done before because of my experiences with line twist. Not sure if the reel has anything to do with it but this is now my drop shot set up and I have had no issues with the twist. I do have it spooled with braid and fish with a mono leader. I did have line twist issues with my bait casting drop shot set too.

5. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,904
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    That solves the mystery of where the line twist went. It is still there but Braid is extremely forgiving!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. oh da shiz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,242
    Boat:
    Ranger Z21
    What's drop shot???

I've got jokes for days......

7. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,817
    I don't get it

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Dat_fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Name:
    Luke Winczowski
    If you are drop shoting on a baitcaster, you are more likely to get a backlash because of the weight of the drop shot, that’s why I use spinning reels for lighter lures.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  9. oh da shiz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,242
    Boat:
    Ranger Z21
    I was being sarcastic. The people that know me, know I'm a power fisherman and would never even think to tie up, let alone throw a drop shot when fishing. Now fast forward, I've got no shame in grabbing a drop shot set up as I've realized over the years I've been passing up a lot of bass.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,711
    I use spinning because KVD told me to...

I’m much more efficient flipping light tackle and light line on spinning setup than I would with a bait caster...

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  11. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,904
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    WWKVDD!

12. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,817
    Yeah - I figured you were making a joke/sarcasm. But, like you said, probably need to know you to really get it.
    My response reminds me of how my older brother's woman friends would embarrass me when I was a kid after I tell them a dirty joke and they said "I don't get it" which means I need to explain it to them.

13. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,120
    Ide never want that #8+ on an spinner, thats why I only use a bc....
    Not saying theyre not capable but ive hooked lots of big mean fish & thats just what I prefer....
    When it comes to the big ones that will do anything they can to get off & give you nightmares afterwards I prefer the bc, more cranking power, more control, more lift, etc...
    Not saying I never throw a spinning combo as I do but consistently I dont, ill use them occasionally texas rigged weightless small senko or wacky rigged senko fishing but thats about it.
    I use light braid on my spinners for the smoothness of casting them, strong yes, but do you trust it everyday when you know Nadines mom is lurking....
    My lake fishes differently than yours & my ds method isnt a finesse variation at all...
    Do I miss some opportunities due to my preferred rigging, possibly, but I do alright...

#33 Slater, Jan 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  14. Spidey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +168
    gotta post my 2 cents, it's worth at least one cent- I was the BC dropshot dude, had to beat the guys with fairy wands at their own game- Little 50 sized curados and MG Chronarchs all dialed, Daiwa Pixy (epic reel), 4-6 lb., but a spinning reel is the way to go (not for the bubbashot), at least for me- no friction on that line coming off that spool (unless it gets twisted and stuff like it always does)- same old story, just fish what you like! :emoji_metal:

15. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,138
    I know a few guys like that. They refuse to fish spinning reels. Maybe they think using a baitcaster makes them look more skilled. They don't catch more fish but the look cool doing it. The same mentality fly only guys have. You see guys like this all the time, arrogantly using the wrong tool for the job.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,420
    Still beats the guys who fish spinning reels upside down. Seen guys doing that on half day boats. Stay clear of them, will definitely be the ones to get in tangles assuming they ever get a fish.

upload_2021-1-24_18-38-38.png

17. sherpa

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,672
    Because I can cast a 3/16 or 1/4 oz weight a lot father than with a bait caster. 6# braid and 10-12# mono

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  18. StinkyPinky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +535
    I just happen to have the perfect casting rod for sale! St croix Avid 6’9” ml. Great for spoons, ice jigs, tiny crankbaits, etc.