Wife made a promise...

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by Zhao, Jun 12, 2022.

1. Zhao

Zhao Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +220
    Name:
    pkufellow
    ...that on Monday she will bring her co-workers a few "freshly caught fish". She told me this afternoon and ask me to "go get some".
    Yes ma'am, yes, I will do that.
    I felt a bit pressure but, how hard can it be? A couple croakers will do.
    I hit the beach about 5. There seemed to be a bunch of guitarfish today. I l lost 3: one got off hook, one broke my leader line (15 lb fluro), one broke my main line (20 lb braid) but landed 2. The one in the picture is 2.5 - 3 ft, so I guess the ones I lost were even bigger.
    I don't think my wife had these ones in mind when she talked about "fish", and I let them go. I always let guitarfish go. Maybe I should keep one some day and try it.
    PXL_20220613_012204968.jpg

It then got really slow, and my reel (Penn Battle III) started to feel weird. Every two turns the handle will get "stuck" at the same spot that I need to push it through. Less of a problem when I continuously reel, but really broke the "feel" when I tried to reel in a little bit to feel the tension. I had it only for one month but maybe sand and sea water did the job? Would it be a good idea to take it apart and clean it? I thought this reel was tough but it has certainly lost the "buttery" feel in a month.

Around 8pm I was leaving the beach, empty handed. At the beach exit I figured why not make another cast. Bite! The next 15 minutes, job done, including my PB YFC. Then it got really grass-y and I went home.

Now I need to figure out what to do with the reel...

PXL_20220613_040743443.jpg

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +62,637
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    SNGF are pretty good table fare. I don't kill the big girls. Those loins are very decent on the plate...

3. skrilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,097
    Best case scenario it works after you clean and service it.

Worse case scenario, your reel is toast from fighting tractors.

Happend to one of my reels after fighting something that ended up spooling me. Reel spun fine but under any sort if load it was difficult to turn the handle. My frame ended up being bent. It caused the shaft to bind and not allow the gears to mesh properly.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,531
    Nice fishing and WTG on getting your wife what she asked for... Personally, I like catching SNGF, they provide a fun fight.. I've never kept one for eating, so can't help you there...

5. YNW_FISHY

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +646
    Name:
    YNWGEEZY
    Nice work!! I cannot catch croakers beans or perch, I'm not good at it. Or I also never try. Probably both

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,170
    You should definitely service your reel if it's giving you problems. There could be various reasons why the reel is feeling rough, but I would check the teeth on the main gear to see if it got damaged. A lot of smaller spinning reels come with main gears made of aluminum, and those can get damaged if you are repeatedly trying to winch in large fish. It's one of the reasons I spent a little extra buying the DX version of the Penn Battle, which comes with all brass gears.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,501
    Nice going on the catches.
    Decent sized croaker.... but... not sure I trust a ruler with hand written numbers on it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,294
    Name:
    Eric
    Agree you might have stripped a gear or bent something. You wouldn't think it would happen that easy but it does. Take it down all the way, or take it somewhere to get serviced.

9. Zhao

Zhao Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +220
    Name:
    pkufellow
    Good point. I looked up Penn site and indeed mine (size 4000) has aluminum main gear. Since it is within one year warranty I will take it in for repair. Seems they have a warranty center in SD so let's see if they can fix it. Hopefully this is not considered "abuse" and void the warranty...

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  10. Zhao

Zhao Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +220
    Name:
    pkufellow
    Yeah I kept hearing that Penn Battle is built like a tank, etc. Also I am using 20lb line so it cannot be that hard... but maybe already enough to strip or bend something.

We'll see if the service center can fix it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. jjdbike

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +608
    Sounds like a fun outing. I've heard those SNGF fight well.
    Nice YFC. So pretty and I keep hearing how tasty they are. Still on my SoCal bucket list.
    May I please ask about your terminal rig and bait of choice?
    I hope your reel is able to be rehabilitated. The surf environment can be tough on reels.
    Respectfully,
    JD

12. Zhao

Zhao Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +220
    Name:
    pkufellow
    I use Carolina rig, 1/2 - 1 oz egg sinker, #6 - #4 size hook. Sand crabs for bait. Keep trying and you will get some nice ones :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,170

You need to know the limitations of your equipment, and a 4000 size spinning reel is not a 20lb class reel. That size of reel is still considered "light inshore" and if you look at line weight recommendations for that size it's usually 12-15lb max. Straight up breaking 20lb braid is not easy, so if you are hooking into fish big enough to do that then you are definitely fishing that reel above its weight class. That's not to say that you can't fish heavy line on a 4000, or catch big fish with it, because you can, but you need to properly set your drag (which you clearly still aren't doing), and a pump and wind technique will help preserve the life of your reel when hooked up with heavy rays and skates.

14. Zhao

Zhao Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +220
    Name:
    pkufellow
    Yeah... I tried to loosen the drag at the start of the session but when I could not pull the fish (i.e., cranking handle did not pull the line), and that I have already backed to the end of the beach (i.e., a wall behind me) I have the tendency to tighten the drag. I guess I should be more patient. Or I have to patiently deal with the warranty lol