Winter Spotty Fishing Techniques

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Aweisman18, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Aweisman18

Aweisman18 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51
    Hello, I am a first year college student at the University of San Diego and I have been fishing for spottys every once in a while for the last couple of years. I was wondering if any local fisherman have experience catching bass during the winter time. I am not asking for fishing spots, but techniques and areas to look for. Thanks for any input in advance.

2. MichaelOfishing

MichaelOfishing Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +110
    Anywhere you find with some spread out grass and current, some gulp shrimp on a texas rig usually does the trick. Its almost like cheating sometimes with the gulp stuff. I personally would just say try some slower plastic techniques like drop shotting and if they arent keyed in on that try to spook them a little and get a reaction bite by popping something flashy infront of them like a bigger kastmaster. You can also get some decent schooling sandies if you have a set up where you can cast far enough. My best luck with with the sandys is usually at shelter but I cant speak for all shore fishing since I usually just take the kayak out instead of shore.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Aweisman18

Ratings:
    +51
    Thanks for the advice. I hope drop shotting will be effective. I typically use 6lb test with a braid backing which is light but I haven’t had many problems. I’ll use a size 4 or 6 hook when the grass isn’t a problem otherwise a 2/0 Texas hook.

#3 Aweisman18, Nov 6, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  4. F1$H

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +539
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo 13
    They seem to be more honed in on shrimp-like baits. The advice above is on point. My go to is the ned rig. Also the swimming mullet, like rodney marquez uses. He has plenty of spotty vids that he shot in the winter that will give you all that you need.

5. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,359
    Eel grass is the key. The spotties like to hide out in there and ambush. I use swimbaits, weedless is probably the way to go but I don't use it because I'm kind of starting to get stuck in my ways. Make sure the tail of the bait has some action. You'll find out that if the bait is stiff and not moving you won't get bit. If thats happening re-adjust the bait, get it moving, and then things likely change.

My go-to color for a swimbait is xmas color. Depending on where you're fishing from you may want to use different jighead weights. If there's a ton of eel grass and the water is low I go as light as 1/8th, but that can be a pain because it really limits how far you can get it out, but it does allow for a slower retrieve and more time in the strike zone.

The other thing about spotties is while sometimes they can be downright stupid about what they'll hit, sometimes they're remarkably picky. If you're not getting bit don't be afraid to change up bait color. If you're still not getting bit, time to move on.

The guy who has the video up here who caught 100 in a day used a lightweight ned rig I believe, but he was also on a kayak, not sure how well that would work from the shore.

Most people will advocate using as light as line as you can get away with, probably not bad advice. I use 10lb and I probably catch less because of it, but thats my preference.

#5 toddamus, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. cavedog619

cavedog619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +671
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback
    This may go without being said but, if you're going to use any bottom type rig like the dropper or ned, it's important to let the weight sink to the bottom and walk it back in low and slow.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,584
    Name:
    Eric
    I think most people slower retrieves work better in the winter. Winter time means big sand bass on the beach to me

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. Kam_Walsh98

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,450
    Try during the nighttime; cast a dark colored swimbait with some scent as far as you can and retrieve at an excruciatingly slow pace. Some good specific lures to try are zman paddlerz in new penny and bad shad, gulp mullets in chartreuse and camo, and black widow big hammers. If they aren't hitting the steady crank try rapidly twitching your presentation through the weeds. Texas rigs and weighted EWG work better for thick weedy areas than weedless swimbait heads. I caught 10 bass last night in MB using this method.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  9. Noms

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,596
    I've been getting them on gulp shrimp with the walmart 1/2oz ball jig heads. Stopped using my higher gear ratio at night. My 5.8 ratio reel helps me slow down and work the lure. Just dragging it on the bottom and sometimes hopping/twitching.

10. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +280
    I don't see much difference in the pattern across the seasons. SBB are willing participants year round. I'm a grub guy and generally fish in on the bottom. For me, bottom contact is essential. I fish 8 lb in either mono or an 8lb leader on braid. Doesn't seem to matter. I fish from a boat and that makes prospecting different depths and locations easy. I also use a crankbait that dives 7-9 ft and run it over the eel grass.

BTW, congrats on your admission to USD. Great school and a beautiful campus. The Immaculata has some of the most incredible stained glass I have ever seen.

Keep fishing and posting.

mick

11. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,359
    Yea that changes things. Some guys were posting here that they were catching them in like 15ft of water or more. Hard to reach those spots from shore. They definitely go deeper in the summer assumingly to get to some cooler water.

12. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +15,308
    No special technique. Same as any other session. You’ll run into more quality and quantity in the winter imo, just gotta be out there. I’ll be hitting as many minus tides as possible before they transition to early mornings... but night fishing will be where the quality fish come out for the most part. I still cross my fingers to have another 2010-2011 type year, most amazing time for bass fishing I’ve ever had.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,359
    I swear you once said you got a spotty to chase a piece of lettuce, maybe it was someone else.

14. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +15,308
    I caught a spotty on a piece of ice plant rigged on a hammer head at south shores

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  15. Aweisman18

Ratings:
    +51
    Why do you hit the minus tides instead of a steady rising tide?

16. TekAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +487
    2 inch curl tail grub on adequate sized jig head. Trig with a 1/64 - 1/4 oz egg or bullet weight to fine tune for current conditions. Small lures catch all size fish. It's harder for smaller fish to fit a big lure in their mouth. If you're just going for numbers. You want to swim it very close to the bottom bumping structure once in a while. Very effective and I prefer it to drop shotting the way most people do it. Sometimes I'll cast out then then litterally set the rod on the ground for a few seconds to avoid the temptation of retrieving before it hits the bottom. If you're casting out and not getting anything try casting and retrieving parallel to the rocks where they may be hiding. A couple weeks ago I caught an opaleye like this.

#16 TekAngler, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  17. TekAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +487
    I like the negative tide for the rocks too. A lot the reasons don't have to do with fishing. I'm further down from the side walk meaning less interruptions from passerby and I can get down into the rocks better. The best reason is I always recover tackle from people who fish up close to the sidewalk and get snagged. All types of weights, swivels, lures. I think I break even with the stuff I lose to snags. If you see fishing line snagged running up to the shore following down like a rainbow to find the treasure.

#17 TekAngler, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  18. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +15,308
    Cus they’re the best times. Don’t believe the “hype”

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. DPevin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,907
    Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Ive always found that for most of the spots I fish, I can reach the good structure (where the fish are) easier on the minus tides....and there is still water moving just as hard, which is the most important thing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +15,308
    For the record, I mean peak slack low at least -.5
    Little to no movement of water. Once the water moves, I’m done. It’s a different ballgame than most are willing to play.
    I will post when I know for sure that I’ll be out and send a public invite.