Winter spotty fishing...

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by dj thrillz, Feb 12, 2014.

1. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,512
    Ok, so I get quite a few messages from people looking for advice and what not, and lately I have been getting quite a few that are basically saying:
    "Hey Kevin, I thought you said the winter time was the best time for spotties... I can't seem to find any of them. I'm lucky if I even get bit right now, it's so slow!"

True, In my opinion the best time to nail not only a ton of spotties, but chunky ones, is between December to the end of February, January being the absolute best month. It's also true that both bays have been slow for them lately, SD Bay being better with numbers as always. Now, take a peek at this...

I took a pic of my sea temperature log and just figured I would share this with whoever gives two you know whats...
    45B17863-8D92-41AA-8F33-948EE543FEEE-930-0000007B0396AC55_zpsa2decb1e.jpg
    Take a look at January and February from 2006-2013. Safe to say 57-60 for every single one of them. Now look at 2014... 60-61, and for this month so far its been 61-62.

The spotties chew hard when it's colder, especially at night. Is it just a fluke that it's been dead at the best months of the year while they have been the warmest months in at least the last 8 years? Well, I don't think so. No fluke. Water temp has been up, spotty action has been down. Sorry guys I can't control mother nature. I can at least say there has been a valid reason for me to even keep a temp log now lol.

On a more positive note, these warmer water temps are making other types of fishing go off. If you are into sharks/ray, you need to be soaking some bait at night time right now. They are evrywhere, some nice ones too. The surface bite should be starting up here pretty soon, cudas and vinas will be a target for me soon. As far as surf fishing goes, I'm hopeful that the sand crabs make an earlier showing than normal so we can get a jump on summertime fishing in the spring. If the crabs are there, the corbina and spotfin are there. Xing fingers.

As far as spotty fishing goes, this summer may either be a bust, or really awesome if you like throwing reaction baits for them. Spinnerbaits, blot throwers, anything with a little flash rules in the summer for spotties. We'll have to wait and see.

2. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852
    There are no flukes in fishing trends. If you're not paying attention to the conditions, charting your trips you'll never understand what is making you successful or unsuccessful.

I keep a spreadsheet with conditions and results of every fishing trip I take, even for just a few hours. Noting water temperature, air temp, barometer (trending), moon, cloud cover, wind speed, wind direction, water clarity, tides or streamflow if applicable, etc..and then obviously how many fish were caught on each bait and then a summary of notes that help me understand it all 10 years down the road.

I fish the same body of water pretty much exclusively now, so it really helps me dial in things before I go fishing. Two years ago I got on the most insane crankbait bite in February (caught hundreds of bass on them), and then last February didn't get a single bite on a crankbait. And when you have all that data you can easily understand why that is.

There are apps for phones now where you can easily track all this data. Every fisherman should be doing it. Its simple, and pays extreme dividend down the road.

Fish don't have calendars, they don't know when they're supposed to bite and when they're supposed to go lock jaw. They're just responding to the conditions. If you're waiting for a month or date to come before you start getting serious about fishing, you're going to miss out this year.

The weather is ahead of the calendar. The bass fisherman are going to really suffer from this this year if they're not careful. There will be a lot of anglers that are going to miss the best bite of the year because its going to happen about a month earlier than usual.

3. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,512
    Kellen I have a new respect for you. I thought I was the only one logging anything lol. There still is a chance I'm not insane.

4. WHEREtheFISHare86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +205
    Fish are still biting pretty good.
    Time of tide, location, and bait selection.
    You need curent to get things going.
    I went out last night and last week on Tuesdya night, and did well on the SBB, SB, and calico's. Also got a barracuda, and a kelp bass oddly enough.
    Try using a scent on your plastics, drop down to smaller baits, try drop shot.
    Fish were being taken on flats and on channel edge. We got Sandbass to 5 lbs, and hooped-up a couple lobsters to boot!

5. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,227
    Big bear and I have been working on an excel spreadsheet that's interactive with all the information you guys mentioned. Right now, it's just for the bays. Beyond having a log, we are trying to make a searchable data sheet. Look at fish counts on certain days, tide, moon etc. rather that look through each log entry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,512
    The spreadsheet thing sounds cool.

As far as actually fishing goes, current means nothing to me. I probably catch more fish at slack tide than any other tide. Scent means nothing to me either. I rarely use it.
    I wasn't saying I needed help, the whole reason for the post was to give my .02 about why I believe it's been slower than previous years(at this time of year). Everyone I've ever given advise to about good spotty fishing knows that I tell them to get out during the winter because of how good it is. This year has been different. You may be finding fish and that's great, but others aren't finding much. I haven't been out much myself but I do keep in touch with people who are always out so Im at least in the loop for the most part.
    Right now the most productive areas are not from the shoreline, so unless you have a boat, yak, or tube you are just chillin. I have a tube, just no time for it.

7. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,227
    WTF86. It would be rad to see some pics of your reports one of these days. You seem to be on em pretty good. Or do you just use your camera for your yard sales ;)

8. WHEREtheFISHare86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +205
    Lol, I post pics in a decent amou ntof my reports. They are all taken on my phone, and I do not upload right away.
    I will try and find some. I don't take pics of every fish I catch, especially when they are biting!

9. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,227
    I hear ya man.

10. WHEREtheFISHare86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +205
  11. WHEREtheFISHare86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +205
    One of the better ones!

image.jpg

12. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,227
    Is that your boat? Hit me up if you ever have an open seat. I can pitch in for whatever

13. WHEREtheFISHare86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +205
    It's mu buddies boat.
    lso how do I get these pictures to post right?
    I never seem to get them to look good anymore.

14. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,512
    I use photobucket. And since you take pics with your phone, you can upload through their app and edit them or just post them raw.

15. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,227
    tapatalk works really good too

16. NCTOADSLAYERZ

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,004
    All this talk of slow fishing :roll: you just gotta know where to look! Caught multiple spotties over 2lbs and 1 around 3lbs in the last few days. One of the best bites quality wise we've ever been into. Also my buddy pulled this doormat out from under a dock! 37" of mean! Quite the fish from a float tube with no gaff

IMG_0457_zps5e780dd0.jpg

They bite
    2lbs
    IMG_0442_zps39c6c6b7.jpg

Close to 3lbs
    IMG_0419_zps0374421f.jpg

Quality and Quantity!
    IMG_0410_zpsa483ab3f.jpg
    IMG_0399_zpsfc11097b.jpg
    IMG_0440_zps487875b3.jpg

Even though theres a ton of smelt and small bait in the bay, the big bass we're catching are all puking up crustaceans and octopus. A brown/green jig with a red grub trailer ought to do the trick! Some of the pictures should give away where the hot bites been :mrgreen: You just gotta look!

Tight Lines!
    NCTOADSLAYERZ

17. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,227
    :mrgreen: thats serious slayage

18. buddha

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +467
    Fishing has been awesome deep in the south bay.

I never see anyone out there and that is how I like it.

More fish for me.

19. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,512
    Ok, maybe for better clarification I should have mentioned I was mainly referring to shore based fishing, as I usually do. My bad.
    Those are some nice fish you nailed, congrats. Those are normally what we get into this time of year from the shoreline, it's just not happening. It's also obvious the fish are in deeper colder water, more support for my observation and personal theory.
    Not many nice spotties caught during the bass tourney recently out of a ton of anglers, but I'm pretty sure not many of the participants focused on the marina either. The marinas always hold nice fish, with the exception of J st.
    Keep whackin them dude, your pics will make others want to get into tubin while shore fishing is at a basic hault(for spotties).

20. NCTOADSLAYERZ

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,004
    Yeah I gotta admit the shore fishing has been pretty slow lately. That being said I have still gotten into some decent bites lately fishing from the rocks east and west of south shores launch ramps on a higher tide. Fish Brown and Red swimbaits at a 45 degree angle to the rocks depending on which way the tide is moving and you should get bit