Wohlford, Dixon and El Dorado Park 1/27-1/30

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by BassRygg, Jan 31, 2022.

1. BassRygg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +314
    Boat:
    Topwater PDL Kayak
    My dad passed away in 2007 and for the last 15 years, I've made it a tradition to go fishing on his birthday.

This year, I decided to make the 100+ mile trek down to Lake Wohlford. I had never been there, but I wanted to rent a boat and since they had small bass boats with trolling motors, I thought I'd give it a shot. I knew it was a small lake, but when I arrived, I was a little surprised at just how small.

I had been looking forward to this day for a while. I rigged up 9 rods to bring with me. I was on the water by around 6:45 a.m. I used them all, throwing just about everything I could think of to no avail. The water was pretty stained, but I loved all the shoreline structure. I started out with a glide bait, threw lipless cranks, fat ika, jig, square bill, blade bait, etc., etc.

I did see fish and birds going nuts on bait fish, but it was near the dam, well beyond the buoy line and way beyond where I could cast. It was an intense feeding frenzy for sure and it lasted quite a while.

All in all it was a beautiful day and the highlight of the day was seeing a bald eagle fly over the lake. I also saw an osprey. Around 1:45 p.m. it was clear to me that I wasn't going to be doing any catching and I decided to take the boat in. The guy at the boat dock said bass fishing has been terrible there for the year. He said they planted trout and that usually turns on the bass bite, but it hasn't happened. Oh well.

I then got the idea of stopping by Dixon since I had never been there before either. I headed over and fished from shore for a couple hours; again, to no avail. I was impressed with how clear the water was there and would like to go back sometime.

Friday morning, I decided to hit up my local park (El Dorado). Fished for a couple hours and was blanked again. I keep waiting for the pre-spawn.... Feb. 9, will make the 20 year anniversary of my first bass ever - caught at El Dorado park on a craw colored crankbait. Seems like yesterday.

Saturday - I had another opportunity to fish El Dorado and again I blanked. Where are those fish?

Sunday morning - I had an hour to fish and went again.... same results.

I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to find and catch bass. I've tried everything... I know it's usually tough this time of year, but I've been determined.

Sunday afternoon, I made one more trip to El Dorado. I decided to fish the smallest of the four lakes and I was going to cover every inch of that lake with a dark sleeper... Five or six casts in... and finally... a 2.42 lb bass. I kept at it until the park closed and didn't get another bite.

Bass 2.42 (2).jpg

2. Bwood

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +336
    Boat:
    BW
    Great fishing!! Catching, not so much, but I am sure your dad would have loved the adventure as well.

3. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +24,573
    Enjoyed your post as it brought back memories of me and my father fishing together. Every December 18, I try to hit a lake or at least go to one and reminisce of all the times he took me fishing while I was growing up. I am sure your father was there in spirit with you and proud of you for keeping him in your thoughts and glad to see you out doing what you like to do. Thanks for sharing and tight lines always.

4. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,357
    Boat:
    Yes
    Persistence pays off BassRygg . I'm sure you're dad was with you at all 3 lakes. Thanks for the report and pic.