Woody, Smith, The Doc and Me

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Creek, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,943
    Took advantage of an invite to go fish Spanish with a few of the SDFF members.. Woody, Smith and The Doc. Did a 6am meet (ya, 6am.. my last day off from work this week and I find myself getting up at the same time I would for work.. thanks Woody !).

PLot.jpg

Met at Spanish and started getting things ready to go. Had to wait a few extra minutes for Mr Smith (Woody's Cast Master) to arrive and get his stuff going.

Outside temp was 70.. almost no breeze at all, glass-like water and clarity to no more than 5' or so. Water temp was 70 as well.. just like the outside temp. beautiful. Took my first hit about 30' off the sand. Cookie cutter Spottie - but no matter because the skunk had been shrugged off right way.

Ran the boys westbound into an incoming tide. Woody and Smith headed for the bridge supports and Doc and me just kinda coasted into Hali-Land at the west end of Spanish. I had thought about swapping flies for a pair of bigger clousers, but then just figured the heck with it. I'd been towing bilateral orange/root beer Crazydads around the entire first leg. Both Doc and I were seeing fish. I believe the boys were too, but they were about 15 mins ahead of us at this point.

TheBoys.jpg

Doc1.jpg

Hung out with the Doc most all of the time today. He's just getting into fly fishing the salt, so I'm pretty familiar with what's probably going on in his head. Just figured he'd appreciate having someone hang with him to answer questions or share helpful tips. But he was doing fine on his own.. not catching as many as I would have liked to see him catch, but he was catching fish. Woody was hanging out with Mr Smith and making sure he was seeing the occasional fish as well.

Doc2.jpg

On the way back, I chose to make that fly swap that I had thought about earlier. Off came the trailing Crazydad in favor of an Orange #4 clouser. Started taking doubles after I made that switch. Took a nice little double just across from the Merlin.. a decent 14" Spottie and a 14" YF Croaker.

YFC.jpg

A little farther down near the sand beach, I got drilled by something much larger that peeled some line, took my rod over the edge and turned me around one full time. It started pulling me backwards away from Doc. He was laughing and I was trying not to lose my cool and scream like a little girl. Ended up losing whatever it was, but kept another fish - 13" Spottie - that had taken the second fly at some point during the run. I wonder what he was thinking. Started taking doubles as well. Doubles are always welcomed.. and they always improve anyone's numbers.

Double.jpg

And a quick shout out to the clown driving the SS Aloani (aka Party Boat that always has scantily-clad girls on it). For whatever reason, he chose to get a little too close to Doc and I for my liking. I'm guessing he was around 15' (edited that) from me when he flew by under power. Jerk.

TooClose.jpg

So that's it. A 3.5 hr session that ended with 29 for me, and I have no idea what the other boys numbers were. Was good seeing Doc again. haven't seen him since he was the medical director for the county. Just as nice, just the same everything.. same old Doc. Thanks boys, if you're reading this. Happy to do it again if you like. Much fun !! Mike

#1 Creek, Aug 1, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +38,838
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Sounds like good times with good people, always well appreciated in my world.. btw, the calicos are biting...

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,943
    I'm in to try. Next off days are MON and TUES

4. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,638
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    It was a great trip between our numbers and yours we are well over 50 and if I wouldn't been so stubborn trying to get bonefish with that orange and white Clouser we'd probably been at 70. But chasing that elusive ghost will probably be my downfall more than once. As always great fishing with you Creek we'll see what we can do next week oh and by the way we work Emergency Services we're not supposed to get sleep so like you told me last week man up

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  5. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,370
    Well done! Big number! Nice to see

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Creek