WORK! Groups…..

Discussion in 'General fishing' started by robbiesmith25, Sep 21, 2017.

1. robbiesmith25

robbiesmith25 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,181
    Name:
    Rob Smith
    Boat:
    Iwish
    I’m talking about….. putting in that WORK!!!

(This is no report, and there’s no fish pics, but for the guys that are used to my ‘cool story bro’, they’ll read on.)

Maybe this has been tried before on sdfish or some other forum, I don’t know. I’m trying to put this out there for everyone’s benefit. There’s a lot of us working REALLY HARD at it lately and that is certainly respectable… I think this idea may benefit some of us, so we don’t have to work so HARD and learn a few things from each other.…

I’ve enjoyed the heck out of fishing here in SD since moving here in October of 2015. I didn’t catch my first fish here until April of 2017! (Several factors to that – fishing only FreshWater and had no idea that SD presents a completely different fishery of its own, and I was almost like –“F it!”.) Finally put one in the boat this spring and a few more after that. Month into FW, I realized the spring FW bite would be going away and what would I do next? I turned to sdfish and found the shorepounders event in June, but I was completely new to saltwater shorepounding, but would be easy transition to take my FW gear and hit the bays and surf. (Did some surf stuff back east, but that was short-lived.) Gave the SP event a try and since June I have not missed an SP event! This discussion is not meant to diminish the SP events. They are a great time! – Thank you as always dj thrillz for organizing those.

WORK Groups….

This is my idea, came to me last night after I was fishing with Werfless and then Fat Spottie appeared out of nowhere and come to find out choprguy was a few hundred yards away and within site! The idea also sort of stirred itself a little after the last evening surf session I promptly threw together and had 6 other guys accept the invite to come fishing with me! I just couldn’t wrap my mind around an idea at that time.

1) I’m all about fishing on my own. LOVE IT!

2) I’m all about fishing with another angler. Benefits are tremendous!

3) I’m all about fishing with 3+ anglers. Benefits are even more tremendous, but can become crowded depending on the surface area being fished.

We have a pretty solid group of I’d say 15-20, maybe more, solid ‘WORK!’ shorepounding guys here on sdfish. Guys that are out 2-3 times per week if not more, evening and weekends AND reporting on it – must have the reports! I’m sure there’s more based on the 30+ angler average at the SP events.

For example, last Tuesday afternoon, I put out the impromptu invite to 10 guys to go surf fishing that evening. I expected 2, if maybe 3…… 6! Other guys showed! We had 7 of us pounding the surf! That was certainly acceptable as there’s of course a ton of room at the beach. In that scenario, we had guys doing all kinds of fishing with all kinds of baits. We could see what was working and what wasn’t, discuss strategy, share immediate feedback and have good constructive conversation on fishing. I think only 2 fish were pulled in that night, jongoodhue caught a fat spotfin! (Enough fish for all of us to be happy with.) I was skunked, but I left the beach incredibly happy that I had pulled that group of guys together and we all had a good time fishing together.

In last night’s example, it would have been nice to know choprguy was a few hundred yds away. I’ve fished with him several times, just missed connecting prior to going.

In a final example, Rook , several months ago posted – “I have an open seat for LJ Kelp trip”. I jumped all over that. To this day, I consider Rook one of my best fishing buddies here in SD.

Make friends, gain knowledge, maybe a little less effort across the board….

I know there’s certainly enough fish out there, sharing is caring! ;)

So, a long read to get to the point, I know…Thanks for reading my - cool story bro.

We should have a spot in the forum for daily fishing trips. Sort of like a daily message board where guys can check on who’s going out if anyone is and maybe they have time to go….. Not full on shorepounders events, but just guys who want to get someone else or others out with them shorepounding. No organizing or complicating things… just going fishing. Share Location/Date/Time privately with each other and you meet up!

“Hey guys, going to MB tonight for some spotties and whatever else, anyone want to go?”

“Hey guy 2 spots open for surf fishing tomorrow morning, tide looks great, want to go?”

“Hey, lets get a party and head to the cliffs!”

“Hey guys, 1 spot open for a trip to sd bay shorepounding for Hali’s! Anyone interested?”

“Grunion Run tomorrow night, lets go!” (not really grunion time)

“Hey guys, going fishing by myself, so I shouldn’t post this here….” (LOL)

What do you guys think? There is the ‘partner finder’ section but I don’t pay much attention to that section and it doesn’t seem ‘actively’ used or popular. Maybe make it more popular (not the bottom of the forum.)…..Was thinking group PM’s, but then people miss out in that scenario as well.

I’m hoping you guys have more ideas, or better suggestions, or suggestions on how to accomplish this using sdfish.com forums.

Thanks to ALL! Keep up that WORK! :emoji_fist:

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  2. Ram-Rod

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,150
    Name:
    Lowkeyhoe
    isnt there an app for that?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. robbiesmith25

Ratings:
    +3,181
    Name:
    Rob Smith
    Boat:
    Iwish
    I've heard of fishbrain app, but i don't go on there. Not sure how much of a partner finder it is.
    I'm not even referring to partner finder as the answer necessarily. That kind makes it a little longer stretch than some are willing to make. (No tinder! LOL)

More like -
    Hey Ram-Rod and TreeCatcher want to hit the surf?
    then later - Hey I'm bringing choprguy

We all sort of all know each other already. Network the new guys in.....

4. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,134
    Just use your phone to start a group chat with people you have met on here. I started the year with a modest three person group chat that has since grown to six, and is pretty much an ongoing daily chat of fishing reports, technique discussion, and meetup planning. That seems to be the easiest way to go.

5. robbiesmith25

Ratings:
    +3,181
    Name:
    Rob Smith
    Boat:
    Iwish
    Agreed! this works for sure. I've done that. But, I feel like I should repay my dues and open the door for others who might be new to the area like I was or just looking for some fishing friends.

6. ScubaLee03

ScubaLee03 Real Estate Broker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,794
    SDFish n SP are both really good platform thus far for networking n I use both SDFISH PMs n phone chats to accomplish communication.

I think a lot of it is timing, location, traffic, life interferences, n personal preferences to participate in networking and to what level of involvement. I'd love to go out every single day with a new fishing buddy, but reality is I don't have the bandwidth.

Not sure how you n Choprguy missed one another in terms of planning but sure makes a very pleasant surprise to see a familiar face out at WORK unexpectedly!

7. Ram-Rod

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,150
    Name:
    Lowkeyhoe
    Maybe do a group chat in sdfish's messages. Have people say I'm in and add them to the chat. People can msg on there about going out, meeting up, news on hot spots, etc.

8. robbiesmith25

Ratings:
    +3,181
    Name:
    Rob Smith
    Boat:
    Iwish
    Agreed, but it is has been fun fishing with new guys all the time. Which, come to think of it, I haven't fished with YOU!!

Ya, like when Fat Spottie recognized me by SHIRT! lol

9. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,772
    Boat:
    3 too many
    If my sessions were longer it would provide more opportunities to get together. I try to invite folks when I can. When I just have time to message one or two I hope people don't get too upset with me.. I already know some of my peoples hate short sessions, so one less hassle there eh Tommy Chang ? Lol.. All good.. It's a nice idea though robbiesmith25 .. I will keep it in mind, see if I can make a better contribution.

10. choprguy

choprguy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +642
    I agree that a forum for meetups would be easy and good.

11. ScubaLee03

ScubaLee03 Real Estate Broker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,794
    Create a public thread:

Robbie's Surf Sesh 09/21/17 6pm Del Mar Sign Up

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  12. robbiesmith25

Ratings:
    +3,181
    Name:
    Rob Smith
    Boat:
    Iwish
    I'm not sure you need to improve on your contributions sir! I'm thinking most of us need to strive to share a 1/4 of the knowledge that you do!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. robbiesmith25

Ratings:
    +3,181
    Name:
    Rob Smith
    Boat:
    Iwish
    Ya, that's about what I did last Tuesday via texts and group texts. Felt like I could have reached a few more if I had put it out there.

14. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +251
    Robbie, you're in tech. Make an app called "Fin-der." Or "Hook-up." I get naming rights.

Oh yeah, and thanks for inviting me out last night. ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. robbiesmith25

Ratings:
    +3,181
    Name:
    Rob Smith
    Boat:
    Iwish
    LOL good puns!

I'll just break out the app making play doh with the kiddos tonight and make it up.... :)

16. choprguy

choprguy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +642
    Robbie didn't sent me an invite!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. robbiesmith25

Ratings:
    +3,181
    Name:
    Rob Smith
    Boat:
    Iwish
    See! I'm trying to solve these problems! :)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Ram-Rod

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,150
    Name:
    Lowkeyhoe
    Met up with choprguy and andrewjlasky today for a few hours. It was a really slow, only caught 3 spotties but good to meet up with others.

19. robbiesmith25

Ratings:
    +3,181
    Name:
    Rob Smith
    Boat:
    Iwish
    Ok.... see...that's it! I don't know what else to do....
    From now on-
    Whenever you see this in the sky... you know what ya gotta do!:emoji_grinning::emoji_laughing:

IMG_4629.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. jongoodhue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +581
    I'm not against this. Don't know why some people are against just making like a sub forum. Kellen ???

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List