worst luck possible

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by PossiblyVincent, Sep 4, 2019.

1. PossiblyVincent

Ratings:
    +37
    Decided to go check out ob dog beach this morning for some hali. The beach was relatively open, so I was able to get some casts in without worrying about hooking up a dog lol. About 30 mins in, my brand new flouro leader I tied last night broke off. I was like wtf man... I reeled in my line and saw that it broke off in a random section. I'm kinda pissed about that, so ill see if I can return that back to Walmart.

Using just mono this time, I retied to a BRAND NEW, NEVER BEEN USED BEFORE lure and tossed it back towards the sea. Guess what happened? It never came back ): MY FREAKIN LINE BROKE OFF AGAIN. This sucks man. I saw where the lures landed too and the beach didn't seem deep at all; but I can't swim, so I didn't want to risk becoming front news for a couple of lures.

Now im just hella sad :emoji_cry:. Should I just tie the lure straight to my braid?

2. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,395
    That's a bummer... x2. Even if you could swim it would be a challenge finding those.

Are you 100% certain the line is breaking in a random spot and no where near the knots?

3. PossiblyVincent

Ratings:
    +37
    Yeah. First time I tied braid to mono with an FG knot, then mono to fluoro with a swivel. When I reeled in the line, I only had like 3in of fluoro left. Second time, I tied the same exact way as above but did a mono to mono with a swivel. This time the line broke off about 5ins after the swivel. Just terrible luck lol

4. spicymayo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +640
    Practice tieing your knots at home over and over. Maybe buy rubber practice plugs to practice casting and make sure your knots hold on a normal or even hard cast.

Screenshot_20190904-103124.jpg

5. PossiblyVincent

Ratings:
    +37
    Never knew they had those haha. Im 110% sure it was line failure. Maybe next time ill just tie a pyramid sinker to the line and toss it a couple times before I launch my lure out. Thanks for the idea!

6. spicymayo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +640
    If you don't wet your line and knot before cinching it down, the heat and friction can really weaken the line ahead of the knot. possible cause for weak spot few inches away from your knot?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  7. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,545
    Name:
    Eric
    What lb line and how heavy of lure?

8. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,395
    How old is your line? I've heard the best way to keep/store spools is in the fridge.

9. BenC

BenC Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123
    That was my thought as well. Get some saliva on the line before you pull tight!

10. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,343
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Have you checked the guides and tip a burr or crack in the ceramic or carbaloy will cut or chafe the line . Use a fresh Qtip to run around the surface of the tip and guides if it snags the cotton start looking there .Don't know what to say if its happening after the guides / tip . Have had hooks get into the line and knick as well . Good luck in your analysis . WR

#10 William Ritchie, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  11. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,307
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    So, what is the intent behind using braid? Do you need it for line capacity? Throwing something heavy? Just curious why mono wouldn't work for what you have in mind. That said, I do run braid (high viz yellow, no less) out in the desert for LMB when I am throwing a jerk or spinner bait ..

12. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,578
    Yup..I’ve been in situations like this too..and blamed the line..until I noticed a rod insert that was missing or damaged...

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  13. Boogie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +382
    When you cast is the knot going through the guide? I usually set the knot past the last guide so when i cast it doesn't go through any of the eyes. As for knots I started using the alberto knot over the FG but thats just me. Sorry for your lure lost.

14. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,265
    Just curious, what pound line are you using? What are you throwing?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  15. PossiblyVincent

Ratings:
    +37
    WOW. I just check my guides and discovered a cracked guide tip. I would have never even considered the guides as the culprit. Thank you so much!!

16. PossiblyVincent

Ratings:
    +37
    Yes! Line capacity is a big issue since im using a 2500 spinner

17. PossiblyVincent

Ratings:
    +37
    20lb braid/mono and 25lb flouro. Just tossing some LC110s

18. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,650
    maybe the line was bad from jump.

I hear y'all rolling your eyes.

But once, I got a spool of bad line...Spiderwire super mono. Had a little weak spot every 18 inches. That stuff was crazy strong, I'd used it before, and hey, brand new spool so it must be good, right?

I mailed a piece of the line to them, told 'em I'd send the whole spool if they wanted it...they just sent me a new spool.

19. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,578
    Was it the rod tip?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,265
    That should be heavy enough. My next thought would be like mentioned above. Are you tying your knots dry of are you lubing them with saliva? If you are lubing the knot, next step would be to get a scale and test line samples. My only reason for blaming the line last is you broke off on two different types of line. That makes me think human error. However if the line was purchased at the same walmart it could be that it sat exposed to UV to long. Line does best stored in the dark. Most reputable tackle shops know this and stay on top of this issue. Next time don't grab the first spool on the display but dig deep to get the least UV exposed spools at big box store. Especially walmart. One time I had that issue with walmart bought berkley big lame. The combo of horrible line and siting in walmart for way to long meant I was casting off 1/8 oz kastmasters on 6# all day long till I just quit fishing in disgust.