Buying Wtb:small outboard

Discussion in 'Boats & Boat Accessories for Sale/Wanted/Trade' started by Pond_prowler_619, Sep 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pond_prowler_619

Pond_prowler_619 Active Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Name:
    Ish
    Looking for a small outboard motor for my pond prowler nothing bigger then a 4_5hp .. im in san diego 92114 area ....

2. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,400
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Considering the size of the boat and weight restrictions . The 2.3 HP Honda 4 stroke is more than likely the lightest option . Good reputation . I believe just over 30 lbs and will certainly push and troll your pond boat . Have a buddy in Alaska that has used one for over 10 years as a dinghy motor , no problems as of yet . WR

3. Pond_prowler_619

Ratings:
    +39
    Name:
    Ish
    Thanks WR... picked up a mercury 4hp,runs great but prior owner advise me to give it a oil change ....
    One thing that did happen i was running it at full throttle for about 5 minutes and then the motor shut off ,I try to start it and it didnt till about 10 mintues after...any thoughts ? It seems that it overheated for a bit

4. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,400
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    watch Here is a video on the service of those series Mercury engine . Most likely a flood situation after shutdown . Heat could effect the staring particularly if it has a murphy system that will shut it down , also heat builds up after shut off as the water is no longer moving thru the system and cause carb flooding . Along with the oil change if it has not had the water pump impeller replaced in the last year or 2 it should probably be done , also the lower unit gear oil . Most manufacturers have a pretty good annual maintenance list , if you don't know the history on a used engine it is best to give it a good go thru . Congrats on your purchase , WR

5. Pond_prowler_619

Ratings:
    +39
    Name:
    Ish
    Hopefully i can find a mechanic that knows these little engines and doesnt charge a arm amd a leg lol.