Yappy beach goers

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by spideyjg, May 10, 2018.

1. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,239
    Until they start speaking in Spanish and you need to explain you're from Russia. Which may get more questions....I imagine someone would ask, "Are you a spy? hahahah"

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,074
    I once did that to some street beggar or something, answered in French "I don't know English", he then started talking to me in French.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,128
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    Quivara point during the summer = idiots on jet skis right next to the rocks

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  4. Rxwoman

Rxwoman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +472
    Lol. I was thinking Klingon or Elvish.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,571
    Paddleboarders are the absolute worst. Then they act so damn entitled if you say anything

6. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,571
    Right! lol that's perfect

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. BudzSD

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,236
    Tell them Govno
    Tell them Je m'en fou

8. kmayhugh61

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +465
    My go-to reply for "what do you catch here?" is sharks. Which is partially true, but I'll even say that while I'm standing there with my light BSP setup. I'll get a really solid confused look. Saying sharks also has kept swimmer out of the water around my gear. Especially at Blacks.

I've also thrown out made up species of fish. Tibetan Bull Bass, Yellow Peppercorn SeaRay, Columbian Elk Fish, etc...

However, if they are really interested and respectful, then I don't mind chatting.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 6
    • List
  9. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,239
    Knowing me, I'd probably calmly reply nah, I work for the KGB.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Kam_Walsh98

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,225
    I can’t believe the bit about being forced to move if swimmers enter the water near you. Is this an actual law or one that the lifeguards make up? If it happens to me I’d like to know if I should stand my ground or actually run the risk of being arrested.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,715
    Lifeguards. Sigh. It's their way of kindly getting you to move without confrontation. I do the same thing at work. Pick the party that appears most docile and most likely not to go off. Move them along and problem solved. And the worse of the two gets no verbal reprimand, and my supervisor doesn't a get a citizen complaint leaving me in employed status.

There is no law or city ordinance stating a fisherman must move if a swimmer enters the water "near" you. "Near" is vague. What is "near" exactly? 20'? 50? 100? I can tell you this.. should you accidentally hook a passerby while you're throwing flies or bait or lures, you are responsible for damages and injury. Get that? YOU are responsible for damages and injury. Plan on a civil suit. I hate fishing the surf for this very reason.. too many clueless people standing behind me with thoughts of A River Runs Through It on their brain. Then again, they aren't clueless. They're entitled.. or starved for attention..or bored.. of are looking for one of those civil lawsuits I just mentioned. They don't see themselves as rude or inconsiderate. Their needs come first. That's it. Cant wait to see what forum member replies to this !

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  12. tjthegreat1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +947
    Imperial Beach is the only place I know of with laws in place to keep people from fishing in the surf around the base of the pier in the surf zone. I think surfers and swimmers aren't allowed either. Otherwise lifeguards can't tell you to move. I don't believe they can ask to see your license but if they are actual lifeguards then they are peace officers and can ask to see an ID. I can't find any laws about who to show your fishing license to. Obviously wardens can ask to see your license. Fishing is your CA constitutional right. If you have a license, and you are following the laws and regs and not causing other people direct bodily harm then no one can say anything to you as far as I'm concerned. Just say, "I know my rights"

#32 tjthegreat1, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
  13. Fritzy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,178
    I have to admit whenever Im asked “ Did you catch anything?” I almost invariably say no...normally Im not a big BS artist unless its to get a laugh but I think theres already enough fishing pressure and Im really not that inclined to get more people involved. Now if someone asks a question here sure I will try to help out or if someone has a pole in their hand and wants to know how to tie a knot ....think Im going to get a bumper sticker that says “ Fishing Sucks Dont Try It”

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Fritzy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,178
    I told a lifeguard in Encinitas about two douch surfers that made a point to cross my line ten feet in front of me after paddling fifty yards to get close enough and he told me to let him know and hed give them a ration next time...

15. Jan V

Jan V Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Effinnnn hate that. Not like there's miles and miles of water around.... smh

16. RDozer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,434
    Had a good one last week

I rarely fish around anybody. It was midweek and cool, not many people out and nobody in the water. So I hit a popular beach. I reeled in a decent hali, just undersized. Unhooking it, this Yoga-looking power-walking lady stops to talk, arms and feet still pumping to Richard Simmons or whatever they listen to.

Her - What is that?

Me "Its a Halibut"

- No...them live in Alaska, and are really big

"...................."

after seeing me release it, she asks - And why are u fishing if u just let them go?

"Why are walking if u aint ****ing going anywhere??"

And off she went! LOL!

• Funny Funny x 17
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,715
    I get accused of being antisocial all the time (imagine that !). And ya, I can be - especially when I'm MINDING MY OWN BUSINESS FISHING ON MY DAY OFF FROM WORK !!

Its just like walking through Target's parking lot.. if I see them coming towards me, I'll purposely change my direction angle just to avoid them. That's what I love about being in the water.. all the "Hey, what'cha doing" idiots are on land.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  18. RDozer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,434
    Damn right I did. Mrs Sweatin' To da Oldies didn't miss a beat though, aint nobody gonna break her stride. Im sure she is posting about me on her Yoga forum too

19. Daddo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,351
    50'. Last summer I had a young lifeguard tell me "I think its 50 yds." I told her to go and check the regs. She went back to the tower and never talked to me again.

20. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,715
    Guys, trust me on this.. there is NO city ordinance, no local law and no beach ordinance stating any surf fisherman has to be any certain distance away from another human. The poor lifeguard kids are just trying to keep things safe for everyone... with a white lie maybe, but at least they're trying.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List