Yappy beach goers

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by spideyjg, May 10, 2018.

1. Daddo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,351
    I absolutely love handing my rod off to a kid and let them reel one in. Typically, Mom just melts with joy and the smile on the Kids face is priceless. People really soften up on that. However, I have also been known to throw right at the bone heads.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  2. Daddo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,351
    The 50' came from a senior / ranking Lifeguard when I stopped in and asked one morning years ago at South Mission. Perhaps that was his own rule. It does work with the other lifeguards when a swimmer goes to complain about the murderer fisherman on the beach.

3. Daddo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,351
    Clearly, the young Lady was brand new. I was not rude to her and always exercise respect for them. It may have sounded like I was, but no.

4. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,715
    No law. It's just "their own little safety thing." If it means having to verbally kiss a little azz to help ensure that someones eye doesn't get hooked, that's what they're gonna do. Again.. there is no law or city ordinance stating you need to be any certain amount of feet or yards away from anyone when fishing at the beach. They assume we're all adults and should have some degree of common sense. "Safe and Prudent" just like Montana's road speed law.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,074
    I think just some common courtesy in both directions is best. If someone is playing in the water, we don't go 10' next to them and start casting out. And if we are fishing, beach goers shouldn't jump in the water 10' next to us (or some reasonable distance).

#45 old_rookie, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  6. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,447
    Name:
    Larry M
    Montana's speed law thing is no longer in effect for a number of years now, bummer.
    Not related to fishing but when I use my metal detector at the beach I had a young boy hanging around me and his mother told him not to bother me. I told her that I wasn't one of the grumpy old metal detector guys. She appreciate that. When I detected something I let the kid use the scoop and it was a quarter. I said he could keep it, made his day as he ran to his mom all smiles.

7. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,715
    You're right. And I totally get it and agree. I've always believed that if I have to be courteous and respectful of others space and "privacy" then they should be of mine as well. I'm going to do that regardless..But times have changed dramatically. Entitlement and attitude have taken over. People are now more apt to "challenge" other people as opposed to simply moving on and getting over it - whatever "it" may be. Why do they behave that way now? Because they can. No one dares stop them .. again.. like we always say.. for fear of retaliation, rights infringements and lawsuits. People are just ACHING to go off for any reason.

I'm still holding to this thought.. I truly believe that at some point in this administration, we're going to see a "purge" of sorts. Not like the movie The Purge, but one where people just do what they want. Police wont be able to quell the problem because it will be too widespread. Certain groups are just sitting around watching the national news and waiting for those "group texts" that report law enforcement has done something to one of "their people." That way they have an excuse to protest/riot/burn businesses/loot businesses etc.

8. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,715
    Yes. I forgot to add that it was a thing of the past. Sorry. Glad you're my back-up !

9. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,447
    Name:
    Larry M
    We now live in the (I'm a victim society), I can't get a good paying job because I didn't apply myself in school, I should be paid the same as that guy over there even though I don't do as much as him. It's my right.
    As long as we have the so called leaders in California we will be giving the store away.

10. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,443
    Just to be the amazingly dissenting voice on this, I do believe Imperial Beach does have a posted regulation that there must be 100' of separation between fishermen and swimmers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,447
    Name:
    Larry M
    I found this:

Screenshot_2018-05-11-09-15-24-1.png

Screenshot_2018-05-11-09-13-19-1.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  12. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,715
    Imperial Beach... ahhhh. Not the City of SD. But wow.. I gotta write an email to a friend that works for the state.

13. tjthegreat1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +947
    Ive seen the signs on the pier. They have the three laws posted on the bottom of the checkered flag/signs they put out. I forgot, the law only applies when the flags are put up. It's supposed to be a compromise during high beach traffic and only effects the surf zone at the base of the pier. The 100' away from other swimmers or surfers is in the dfg regs as well.

Beach Regulations - City of Imperial Beach

12.64.010. Interference with Wildlife or Structures Prohibited
    No person shall remove any marine growth, mussels or marine wildlife, or in any other way meddle with the groins or jetties in the City.

12.68.010. Prohibited Acts on Pier
    It is unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to do or cause to be done any of the following acts upon the public fishing pier or pier plaza in the City:

• To operate a bicycle, skateboard, roller skates or to ride a bicycle or other vehicle on the deck of the pier, pier plaza or adjacent walkways to the pier and pier plaza;
    • To dive, jump or enter the water from the pier or to push, shove or cause any person to fall, dive or jump from the pier;
    • To possess, bring onto or have a surfboard on the deck, rail or any portion of the pier;
    • To cast any fishing line or pole using above-rail casting or allow any lure, hook, or weight to pass inboard of the pier railing while casting;
    • To cast in the water adjacent to the pier or on the pier, a fishing line, lobster trap, crab trap, any mussel hook, or any other such device in such a manner as to create a hazard to any other person;
    • Set up or cast a fishing line in areas on the pier that have been closed to fishing.
    12.68.015. Swimming Near the Pier
    Swimming, wading, surfing, skin diving or using self-contained underwater breathing apparatus shall be prohibited at all times under and within twenty feet of all sides of the pier.

12.68.050. Restriction on Removal of Sea Life
    It is unlawful to remove mussels, clams, barnacles or other sea life from the pier piling with grab hooks or other objects which might cause injury to the piling.

#53 tjthegreat1, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  14. tjthegreat1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +947
    Too me the flags on the pier seem like an obstruction of our right to fish. Every time I go there I'm frustrated because I can't fish the back side of the breakers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,990
    Name:
    Kyle
    I wish folks would get off their phones too and pay attention. The world is going by man, get off snapchat!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  16. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,715
    Look at me ! Check me out ! It's all about meeee !!!!! You're right. Too much narcissism as well.

17. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,447
    Name:
    Larry M
    I use my phone all of the time, I'm using it now. I use it to look up words that people use here that I don't know the meaning of. I use it to fact check things or find something to support something that I want to post.
    What I don't do is look at it while at a restaurant while eating or visiting with family.
    If I'm going to buy something I check out videos about how people are using the product to see how well it works.
    I agree though that people walk around looking at there phones or while soaking a bait. LOL

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. daytonfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +752
    Name:
    Dayton
    Boat:
    Pelican Striker 100x
    in my class at school if anything remotely related to fish comes up everyone turns their heads and looks at me

picture of a guy in eastern georgia catching smallmouth comes up? woah guys look its dayton!!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  19. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,074
    There's going to be a time when very few of us care about the outdoors. People will just put on their VR headset to get the "outdoors" view.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List