Yellowfin Croaker under a Bobber (Video)

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Risentidefishing, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Risentidefishing

SDFish VIP Site Sponsor

Ratings:
    +993
    Name:
    Eric Risen
    Boat:
    Risen Tide
    Probably should be in the fly fishing forum but somebody posted about bobber fishing on here and I figured the bay guys would be interested. Bay fishing has really been starting to turn on lately. February was a good month for SBB but we have been starting to see more variety over the past week or so. Bonefish, Corvina, Corbina, Leopard Sharks, Yellowfin Croaker, and Halibut have all been in the mix over the past week. In the video below I am fishing a small balanced shrimp fly under a bobber (indicator in the fly fishing world) and drifting it over a small sandy area where I had previously caught a YFC stripping a shrimp fly. For spinning guys a float and fly rig with a small baitfish or shrimp pattern could be deadly when you've found an area they are hanging. Tight lines

#1 Risentidefishing, Feb 27, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  2. sdfriday

sdfriday Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +247
    Nice vid and YFC!

3. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,620
    Damn ! That didn’t take long. Fun stuff and cool little video.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,380
    Nice video as usual.

Been bobber (indicator) fishing the bay with flies tied on Wapsi fly jigheads rod for years. Another way to have fun.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,296
    So cool. Got a pic of the fly?

6. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,107
    I like it!...

Butch

7. Risentidefishing

SDFish VIP Site Sponsor

Ratings:
    +993
    Name:
    Eric Risen
    Boat:
    Risen Tide
    Yeah I’ll post one up when I get off the water today

8. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,380
    A couple of what I use. Just two examples. The indicator is 1" diameter. It looks a bit bigger because it is at the edge of the frame of an image taken with a wide angle lens. Top fly is 2" long.

I use several size indicators, depending on mass of fly being used. The 1" shown is about the largest that I have used.

Depending on current/drift the fly often doesn't hang right below the indicator, but it will still stay at a consistent depth if you just let it drift along. Or you can do a retrieve to cause the fly to move up and down in the water column. Have caught bass, croakers, halibut, corvina, bonefish, salema and others with this technique.

These flies could be fished on a spinning rod with any number of traditional bobber styles, as could soft plastics and bait.

indicator_flies.jpg

#8 CraigSmith, Feb 28, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. Risentidefishing

SDFish VIP Site Sponsor

Ratings:
    +993
    Name:
    Eric Risen
    Boat:
    Risen Tide
    The one I was using was very similar to the first fly in Craig’s post. I prefer the 1inch indicator to give a little more action in the wind chop. Smaller indicators tend to get pulled under a bit especially if you are using a two fly rig

image.jpg

10. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,296
    Thanks guys. A few follow-up questions:

1. In general, under what conditions would you use this technique opposed to the typical use of a sinking line?
    2. Typical depth and max distance between fly and bobber? I guess it speaks to the first question... I assume you wouldn't use this in 10+ft of water.
    3. Your flies look like jighead flies, not the balanced flies I've seen tied with pins and beads where the eye of the hook is behind the bead. When suspended, do your flies lie horizontally, or does the bend of the hook ride lower than the eye? Does this matter? Doesn't seem like it.

Thanks. - JN

11. Risentidefishing

SDFish VIP Site Sponsor

Ratings:
    +993
    Name:
    Eric Risen
    Boat:
    Risen Tide
    1. I typically use this technique when I’ve located a condensed area that is holding fishing. It’s not the best method for covering water, but if you find a small pocket in the South Bay that it holding fish it can be an effective way of keeping your fly/lure in the strike zone. I also like some wind chop to give the fly some action and will usually only use it on strong tide changes where the current natural drifts your setup over the bottom. It also works well near hard structure. The shady side of moored boats, up along docks, and drifted past Channel marker pilings can all work well.

2. My setup is usually ~6ft of 12-20lb flouro to the fly line. This is the section I’ll attach my indicator too. Then I’ll run another ~6ft of 8-12lb flouro to the fly. This let’s you fish anywhere from 6-12ft deep. But if you really want to get wierd you can do it all the way down to 15ft deep. Just don’t expect to be casting far.

3. The one in the picture is a jig headfly but sits fairly horizontal in the water. Doesn’t have to be perfectly level as ideally it will be constantly moving up and down in the waves. I do use some traditional style balanced shrimp patterns that I tie with a pin as well. Normally as a 2 fly rig with one right to the bottom and another 2-3ft up

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  12. BILL NELSON

BILL NELSON Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +212
    Good to see - worried I was slipping - this does work, and I am glad to see more folks talking about it- learned this on trout lakes, and first tried it in the bay off the rocks - indicator, 6 feet or so then a fly, then I would tie on another let it hang about 2 feel deeper - it casts like a bollo so watch yourself - anyway, I tube (no boat in the family) - any nice flat areas you care to recommend that can be reached by a tube? Thanks

13. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,380
    Yep, my observations, techniques are about the same except I just use a single piece of mono instead of two sections in the leader.

With the indicator method you can just let it drift and bob along and the fly will stay at about the same depth, allowing for the up and down motion of the water. With a sinking line, you have to keep the line moving or else it will eventually dig into the bottom or plane up to the surface, depending on current speed.

Hookup percentage compared to takes can be a bit less than with standard techniques that have in a more direct line to the fly since you have to get more slack out to get a hook set. And the deeper you are fishing the more slack to get out, which can be mitigated by fishing closer to the boat. But when the fish are grouped up they often seem to be more aggressive as they compete with each other and hold on longer. At least that is my explanation for my observations. Could be wrong.

I have been having some shoulder problems the last few years so sometimes I will take a break and deploy the indicator and drift along, repositioning the indicator and fly as needed by flipping the belly of the fly line just like mending in a stream. Not the most effective means of covering the water, but its a way to relax for awhile and still get a fish now and then.

Over the last 10 or so years I have spoken with a couple of other local bay guides who have utilized this technique at times. I first tried it in the bay the mid-1990s, then didn't play with it in the bay from about around 2000 to 2014, for no particular reason. I had already been using the same techniques in lakes for crappie and other warm water species. But I didn't think it up on my own. For crappie in lakes I picked the idea up from an article in California Fly Fisher. For the bay I got the idea from a guy who used to swing flies under indicators at the mouth of the San Diego River by Dog Beach. He just adapted steelhead techniques.

I have a new Trout Spey rod and Skagit head system on the way to play with this technique from shore, where overhead casting the indicator rig can be challenging with a raised bank or looky loos behind the caster.

For non fly fishers, the same basic technique can be used with marabou crappie jigs and your favorite float. Or you can suspend some live or dead bait. Or plastic grubs, or whatever.

One thing you can do with fly gear with this technique is get your fly/jig to swing in to structure. You make a cast up near a boat, or piling, or dock, or rocks or whatever but still short a bit. The follow with an underpowered roll cast that flips the indicator right up against the structure without lifting the fly/jig out of the water. The fly will then swing in towards the structure and below the indicator instead of away from the structure and below the indicator.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  14. BILL NELSON

BILL NELSON Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +212
    Thank you - lots to digest here - I appreciate that