YT Irons/tackle?

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by OPERATOR SPECTRE, Apr 23, 2019.

1. OPERATOR SPECTRE

OPERATOR SPECTRE Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,101
    Would like some ideas of what you guys are using for surface and yoyo irons that produce. And how many you bring on a trip. I know yoyo's in scrambled egg and blue/white work great, and surface irons in mint work great too but i'd like to know what irons and colors you guys trust. Also, any other tackle to bring along like hooks, line, weight or etc.

2. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,775
    Name:
    Kyle
    I lost 2 on my last trip due to fur bags and the ocean floor. So I bring at least 3 or 4. I see blue and white and scrambled egg used most for yoyos and mint for surface.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. OPERATOR SPECTRE

Ratings:
    +1,101
    That sucks... I despise furbags.

#3 OPERATOR SPECTRE, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,649
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    First of all, just get a jig that swims well. Forget color, it’s all about the swim. Recently the jigs I’ve been using are larger and faster swimming jigs because I feel like that tempo and size produces better. Jigs I’m currently using are JRI4s, JRI7s, Tady 45s and 7XJRs for what we do locally.

I’m personally a fan of the jigs that kick more then sweep back in forth, like Starmans, JRI4s, and 45s. I just have had more success with them. I throw my bigger jigs like 112s, JRI4s, and 7X on a heavier rod with 50lb, while I leave my JRI7, 45, 7XJR on a lighter stick with 40lb mono.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. OPERATOR SPECTRE

Ratings:
    +1,101
    Thanks for the info. Super helpful

6. OPERATOR SPECTRE

Ratings:
    +1,101
    I have 2 salas 6x, on in blue/white and one in dorado that mt buddy gave me for yoyo. Also i have a lura surface iron... I forgot the number.. I'll post it later

What are a couple other good yoyos

7. DPevin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,548
    Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Surface Iron:

Yup, don't worry about color. Just get a few and fish them and the ones that swim keep them and the ones that don't give them away or just put them in a box in the garage for when you are bored and want a project. I only bring surface irons with me on the boat that I either know swim, or that are brand new and I want to test out. No point in bringing one that you think "kinda" swims (which isn't a thing) or that you are unsure about. One thing you will want to do is get a couple of each style (eventually) and more importantly, don't just buy a ton of the same ones. Get jigs with different profiles....larger jigs, shorter jigs, skinnier jigs, fatter jigs....be aware that each style will dictate a different retrieve for that jig, and that is something you will have to figure out. I like natural colors. Mint, mint/white, blue/white, scrambled egg, bird ****, sardine. But it doesn't matter as much. Also, for yellowtail, I stay away from shiny or chrome jigs. Those will attract the bonito...but on the flip side, chrome and shiny all day for tuna.

Larger Jigs: Tady 45, Salas 7x, JRI7, ect
    Smaller: Tady C, Salas J-Pot, Salas baby 5x, JRI 1.........The JRI 4 is a nice medium sized jig, and is one of my favorites.

YoYo:

Again, color doesn't matter....natural colors are what I prefer. I pick yoyo jigs based on how heavy they are. Heavier the better for me. In my mind I like the idea of trying to be the first one to btm on a stop. Keeping in mind I have jigs that are heavier than others, but their shape causes them to sink slower. Ultimately it comes down to winding your *** off and speeding a jig vertically past a yellow's face. Try to get a variety of different sizes too. Full size, and smaller jigs in case they want smaller or larger jigs that day.

Larger Jigs: 7x, 6x, Tady 4/0...I tend to keep it simple with yoyo as there isn't a whole lot of action difference or importance.
    Smaller Jigs: Tady AA, 6x jr
    Everyone raves about the JR 66, I just picked one up so I have yet to use it.

I try to bring 6-8 surface irons and the same amount of yoyo jigs. I have never needed any more than that. Sometimes I will bring more in case I get lucky and catch a few and want to try jigs I don't use all that often as my bread and butter.

Edit: My absolute favorite jigs I have are from Reebs Lures. I don't think he is making them anymore, but he has a few yoyo left in stock. They are XL1 heavy and light, RB1 smaller yoyo, JR1 tiny yoyo. They are great, always have one tied on. They are casts of old Dynatrol and RB (rod bender?) jigs. Love em.

If you want to geek out just check out www.surfaceiron.com and browse away. Good place to find jigs not in stores. Might pay a couple bucks more but they will deliver. You sacrafice being able to look for what you want in a surface iron, but I have been able to feel confident enough just off the pictures on the site (which of of the actual jig for sale) and havent gotten a bad one yet. I get my dart specials and j-pots from there. Or if you are up around Huntington Beach you can pick them up.

8. OPERATOR SPECTRE

Ratings:
    +1,101
    Thanks for the info! Also massively helpful

9. Yella1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,444
    Wow, tons of great information here already. Question for the group: does anyone have experience with Cavio irons? I asked about them on BD a few months ago and guys had great things to say about them. Based on their recommendations, I bought a bunch of new ones on eBay (different sizes/colors, etc.). Haven't had the opportunity to fish them yet.

Just wondering if I made the right move loading up on that brand. Their pricing is great on eBay.

10. OPERATOR SPECTRE

Ratings:
    +1,101
    I keep seeing those on there. Curious myself.

11. OPERATOR SPECTRE

Ratings:
    +1,101
    Here is that one lura iron. Its a lura 2. About 4 oz.
    I tested it in my pool and it swims, but it doesnt kick alot.. Its a smoother action. I will definitely use it for bonito. Edit: tbh I'm not sure how it swims compared to other irons.. I just know it would work for tuna and bonies.. 20190423_123955.jpg 20190423_124210.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Yella1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,444
    Yeah, I keep fiddling with the ones I bought. They check all the boxes that you look for in an iron (uneaven hips, large ring holes, etc.). Trouble is, it's a pain in the butt to get myself somewhere locally where I can test them. (Nobody I know has a swimming pool, either). I gotta get out on the water, gentlemen.:emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,649
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    I do not like them. At all. They swim but all their jigs never have the kick that I attribute to as a fish killer.

14. DPevin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,548
    Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    Kayak
    https://www.surfaceiron.com/brand/jigs/yo-ho-ho/yo-ho-ho-lura-2/

kinda heavy for a surface iron....probably more of a tuna iron, fish it on the slide and whatnot. I dunno, if you can swim it fast enough to keep it up and it swims welll no reason not to use it as a surface iron....your will just run into the issue of what rod to throw it with that will load up well, will need a heavier rod for sure.

If it swims at all, it would be good for a bite like what is going on right now. You can cast it and let it sink out a ways when the fish are up and down and it would be the best of both worlds.

15. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,649
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Tell you what, I have a couple of JRI4s laying around, if you are down to come to mission bay later today I’d be willing to let you check out my sticks and irons, I can do a better job of explaining what I like then what I can typing.

16. OPERATOR SPECTRE

Ratings:
    +1,101
    Cant drive yet.. Thanks for the offer though.

17. Yella1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,444
    Aside from the large, Tady-style jigs, I'm a GIANT coltsniper-style jig fan. They are by far my favorite lure to throw in the whole world. And the casting distance is so insane.

I've used everything from the Shimano brand jigs to the Walmart brand, and everything in between. While some work better than others, they all work and they are all a blast to catch fish on. I have changed almost all my treble hooks to siwash single hooks on my sniper style jigs. Makes releasing the dinks super easy without ever touching the fish (everybody wins).

Got a great deal on some look-alike snipers on Amazon during the holidays and they work great, too. Fat Spottie gave us a tip a while back to put a slight bend in the body of the sniper, and I feel like it does improve the wobbly swim a bit.

Anyway, just wanted to give a shout out to my sniper crew.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. OPERATOR SPECTRE

Ratings:
    +1,101
    That bend trick works well with megabaits too

19. Yella1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,444
    Interesting. I'll still give them a try, but will dump them if they don't produce pretty quick.

20. DPevin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,548
    Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    Kayak
    You can send those JRI4s my way ;-)

Hogans got some....and my dumb *** lagged and they were all gone by the time I got there. Picked up a stinger and a 66 though.

Love that 4, need more....and want to get my hands on a JRI 1 as well.