Park hours: 6:00 AM- 7:30 PM
Dock closes: 6:30 PM (Boats called in @ 6:30 PM)
Last Plant: Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 4,500 lbs.
Next Plant: TBA (early July catfish stock)
Water Temperature: 66 degrees
Water Level: Average
Dozens of limits were reported by anglers after the stocking, with occasional large trout making appearances on stringers.
Pier 1, Whisker Bay, Trout Cove, and Jack Creek Cove remained reliable fishing spots for trout throughout the weekend.
Garlic and regular night crawlers have been the most popular bait, followed by garlic and rainbow PowerBait. Colored mini jigs also were reported as effective bait.
The 18th Annual Trout Derby at Dixon Lake, hosted by the Hidden Valley Kiwanis Foundation, was an outstanding success. Dixon Lake would like to thank the Hidden Kiwanis Foundation and the Senior Anglers of Escondido for their continued dedication to this annual program. The following are the official winners for the 18th Annual Trout Derby at Dixon Lake:
Grand Prize 1st Place Winner: Robert Gomez of Escondido: 9.21 lbs.
Adult Saturday Winners:
- 1st: Jacob Hatch of Fallbrook: 4.12 lbs.
- 2nd: Rovel Penaverde of San Diego: 3.91 lbs.
- 3rd: Dwayne Curry of San Diego: 3.83 lbs.
Adult Sunday Winners:
- 1st: Blake Toth of Escondido: 3.17 lbs.
- 2nd: William Vaden of Oceanside: 3.14 lbs.
- 3rd: Rick Hatch of Escondido: 3.13 lbs.
Youth Saturday Winners:
- 1st: Billy Long of Vista: 2.41 lbs.
- 2nd: Anthony Gomez of Escondido: 2.37 lbs.
- 3rd: Dylan Serpas of Bonita: 2.12 lbs.
Youth Sunday Winners:
- 1st: Josue Cruz of Vista: 3.33 lbs.
- 2nd: Anthony Najera of Escondido: 3.3 lbs.
- 3rd: Maria Resendre of Escondido: 2.9 lbs.
The Trout Derby was an overall success, and Dixon Lake is hopeful it will still see some of the large trout that were included in the 4,500 lb. stock throughout the end of the trout season. Dixon Lake staff continued to see limits through Monday morning, leaving rangers optimistic that plenty of trout still remain to be caught until the beginning of catfish season in early July.