This past weekend’s Trout Opener was well attended with 739 anglers in attendance over the 2 day event. The 2,500 lb. stock of Rainbows provided for some excellent fishing. If you missed the opener don’t worry Santee Lakes is open 7 days a week for your fishing needs.
Top 5 largest Trout Contest results:
1st place Joey Baldacchino 10 lb. Trout out of lake 4. Won Free fishing for a year!
2nd place Johnny Bonsynat 8 lb. 2 oz. Trout lake 2 on a mini jig. Johnny wins a 2 night cabin stay.
3rd place Jonah Bluehawk 7 lb. 13 oz. out of lake 2 on a white trout trap and 2 lb. line. Jonah wins a fishing pole, tackle bag and a $25 visa card.
4th place Thai May was the second angler to catch a 7 lb. 13 oz. Trout out of lake 2. Thai will be awarded the same prize as 3rd place.
5th place Christopher Diaz 7 lbs. 10 oz. out of lake 4 on a mini jig. Mr. Diaz wins a $25 Visa card and 1 day free fishing.
Weight Lake Bait
- Jeremy Wilcox 7 lbs. 8 oz. lake 4 mini jig
- Nick Bliss 7 lbs. 8 oz. lake 3 nightcrawler.
- John Lee 6 lbs. 5 oz. lake 4 mini jig
- Chad Gierlich 2 lbs. 4 oz. lake 3 B line jig (caught limit)
- Pete Valdivia caught a 5 lb. 8 oz. Trout out of lake 2 on a mini jig and qualifies for the TV drawing.
- David Boyd caught Trout and Catfish out of lake 3 on a mini jig and green powerbait.
- The Rodriguez Family caught 17 fish on Saturday. A mixed stringer with Catfish and Trout. Largest Trout was just over 5 lbs. All were taken from lake 2 on powerbait.
- Raymond Paul caught the first tagged Trout on Saturday and won a rod and reel combo. Caught out of lake 2 on rainbow powerbait.
- Brandon Avalos caught a tagged Trout out of lake 3 on powerbait. Won a fishing pole.
- Chris Mays won 2 nights camping with his tagged trout from lake 4 on a crappie jig.
- Drayden Trizarry age 13 from Escondido caught a tagged Trout out of lake 2 on powerbait and won a sportsman’s backpack cooler.
- Emma Copeland caught a tagged Trout out of lake 3 and won a $25 Visa card.
- Eddie Hernandez caught his limit out of lake 2 including 2 tagged Trout and won $25 Visa card and a skateboard.
- Michael Crawford caught a tagged Trout out of lake 2 on a spinner and won a Flambeau tackle box.
- Mario Garcia Jr. caught a tagged Trout out of lake 3 on powerbait and walked away with a new fishing pole.
- Dee Van brought his tagged Trout to the Park Office and won Free Fishing for a Year!
- James Khatthamane caught a tagged Trout out of lake 4 on a trout magnet and won an Igloo sportsman cooler.
- Jed Scott was fishing for Trout with rainbow glitter powerbait and reeled in 2 Catfish from lake 2 each weighing around 3 ½lbs.
Recipe of the Week:
Fisherman’s Grilled Trout
• 6 trout fillets
• 1 medium white or yellow onion
• Large lemon
• 6 to 8 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1/3 stick butter
• Salt and ground black pepper
• 6 aluminum sheets, approximately 12 by 12 inches
Heat grill to medium-high heat.
Rinse fillets and pat dry. Slice onion into 1/8-inch rings, and set aside. Slice lemon into 1/8-inch rings, remove seeds and set aside.
Rub 1 clove of crushed garlic over the fillet. Place fillet in the center of the aluminum foil. Top with 1 pat of butter, 2 to 3 onion rings, then season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover fish with 1 or 2 lemon rings. Fold aluminum foil around fish to create a sealed package. Repeat for each fillet.
Place packets on hot grill for 5 minutes or until cooked through, careful not to overcook the fillets. Remove fish from foil, plate and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Dave McCoy
Night Fishing (registered campers only, lakes 6&7)
** No California State Fishing License required to fish at Santee Lakes Recreation Preserve.
Fishing Permit Fees
- Adult (ages 16 and over) $9.00 per day
- Junior (ages 7 to 15) $6.00 per day
- Second fishing pole stamp $4.00
- *One child under 7 may fish for free with a paid adult
NEXT STOCK (stock will arrive on or before date below)
- November 14, 2014 – 1,000 lbs. of Rainbow Trout