Trout Season is here! The water is a chilly 60 degrees. 29 of the 40 tagged fish have been caught. Reminder lakes 2, 3 and 4 split the 2,500 lb. opening weekend stock. Next Trout stock will arrive around midday on Friday, November 15th. Lakes 3, 4 and camper lakes 6 and 7 will receive fish.
David Fitzgerald from El Cajon caught a 5 lb. 8 oz. Trout out of lake 3 on a jig. David qualifies for the TV drawing.
John Perrine caught a 5 lb. 4 oz. Trout out of lake 3 on nightcrawler and white powerballs. Qualifies for the TV drawing.
Justin Valdez, Derek Gandy and Kevin Buckmiller caught a stringer full of Trout from lake 3 including 2 tagged fish. They won a tackle box and rod and reel combo. Largest weighed 5 lbs. 1 oz. and qualifies them for the TV drawing.
Jonathan Bradley from Spring Valley caught a tagged Trout out of lake 2 on a mice tail. Won a camping tent and a fishing headlight.
John Vue and company caught 3 tagged Trout out of lake 4 on powerbait. This group won 3 rod and reel combos.
Chrim Nheap from Spring Valley caught a valuable tagged Trout out of lake 4 and won a Free fishing pass for a year!! Caught using nightcrawler and powerbait.
Robby “snobear” Lister caught 2 tagged Trout out of lake 2 on gulp bait and won a rod and reel combo and a Ozark multi tool.
Padit Chaidy caught a 2 lb. tagged Trout out of lake 3 on a mini jig and won a fishing net.
Bobby Khammao reeled in a tagged Trout from lake 3 and won a camping lantern.
Vang Vue caught a tagged Trout out of lake 3 on powerbait and won an Ozark multi tool.
Vincent Duong caught 1 tagged Trout and 2 Catfish out of lake 4 and won a rod and reel combo. Baits: powerbait for the Trout and mackerel for the Catfish.
We stocked 24,000 lbs. of Catfish this past summer so don’t be surprised if you reel in a whisker fish on your 4 lb. line and powerbait set up.
Recipe of the Week:
1/2 cup kosher salt
1 quart water
2 pounds trout fillets, 3 to 5 ounces each, skin on, pin bones removed
- Combine the salt and water in a 4-quart container and stir until the salt has dissolved, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the trout filets, making sure they are submerged.
- Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Remove the trout from the brine, rinse thoroughly, and pat dry.
- Place the trout, skin side down onto a cooling rack set in a half sheet pan.
- Dry in the refrigerator 21 to 24 hours or until the skin becomes shiny and somewhat tacky to the touch.
- The next day, turn the smoker on so that it maintains a temperature of 150 to 160 degrees F.
- Place the trout onto smoking racks, skin side down, separating them by at least 1/4-inch and place into a smoker. Adjust heat as needed and cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until the fish is, cooked through, has darkened in color, and has the desired level of smoke flavor.
Night Fishing (registered campers only, lakes 6&7)
** No California State Fishing License required to fish at Padre Dam’s Santee Lakes Recreation Preserve.
Fishing Permit Fees
Adult (ages 16 and over) $9.00 per day
Junior (ages 7 to 15) $6.00 per day
Second fishing pole stamp $4.00
*One child under 7 may fish for free with a paid adult
NEXT STOCK (stock will arrive on or before date below)
November 15, 2013 – 1,000 lbs. of Rainbow Trout